Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Happy 21 Months, G3



Happy 21 months little guy!! I had to stop and think for a minute about exactly how many months its been...I am so used to just saying you are one and a half, or you will be 2 this summer. The last month has been a busy one for us...

* We took a day trip to Dunwoody a few weeks ago to spend the afternoon with Grandad's side of the family. This is a side that doesn't get to see you very often...I think the last time you were about 5 months old. It was fun to show you off to everyone as well as to have you spend time at Dunwoody. I know its really special to Grandad to see you playing there...and it is to me as well. It is a place that holds a lot of memories of my childhood and growing up...and I loved seeing you run across the field with your 2nd cousins, stopping to investigate clay "birds". You got to see your cousin Brennan, who is just 1 week younger...its definitely surreal to see you two together, considering Brennan's mom and I have always been close and we were pregnant together. I wish I could have gotten a picture of just the two of you, but it didn't happen. Here, however, is one of the whole family:

* Your vocabulary continues to grow in leaps and bounds, and listening to you talk is so much fun and so entertaining. Most of the time, it sounds like a foreign language. Lately though you have been stringing words together, such as "Bye Bye Daddy" or "Where go Morga?" or "Mickey eat cracker!" Its funny to watch you playing because you often ramble off sentences created from you own vocabulary that make no sense to anyone but you. Such as, "Elmo ball Mickey Daddy OH NO double, double, cheeeeesssee!" You are getting very good at performing your animal sounds on command (see recent video!) Animals are definitely your "favorite" thing, and I can't wait to take you to the zoo this year. A few weeks ago, we visited the farm across from your friend Maddie's house (something I suspect we'll do a lot this summer!!) The other kids were a little apprehensive about the animals, but not you! I had to watch to make sure you didn't crawl right under the fence!!

"Mmmmmmmm!" (Your version of "moo")

Feeding Oreo the goooooaaattttt.

* Spring is upon us, and we have spent a lot more time outside this month (although today, April 8th, there is snow on the ground!!!!) We have been going for walks, to the park, and just to play outside. You are quite adventurous and have so far tried to climb down the sides of the "cliff." You run around, pick up everything, and get into all sorts of trouble. I recently made a trip to get you some play clothes b/c I have a feeling being covered in mud is going to be a staple around here! Last week, we had an Easter playdate with the Borsuk girls, which involved egg coloring and an egg hunt. The coloring part went well...of course, you kept trying to drink the dye, but you got the concept. The hunt was also priceless...you and Theresa figured out what to do right off the bat and collected a loot to be proud of. Since the day was sunny and in the high 60's, we sat around outside and let you guys play. There is just something about a bunch of little kids running around in the warm sunlight and just enjoying life...

But...why can't I eat it?

Hunting for the eggs...
Kids being kids...

* One final event that marked this month was the arrival of Morgan. Aunt CeeCee moved on to her next rotation, and its safe to say we were all sad. It was pretty pathetic to listen to you ask "Where Cee Cee, where Cee Cee?" when we knew she wasn't coming back. However, in a few days time her classmate Morgan moved in for a month, and you've grown very fond of her. You've learned to say her name, "Morga!" and you like it when she plays with you. You especially like to go down to the basement (where she lives) and hang out down there.
Sharing a meal with "Morga"

Other changes this month are subtle, but you are definitly growing into your own little person more and more each day. You express great joy over things that you like, ("TeeeVEEEE!") and great upset over things that you don't by crying out "Oh NOOO!!" You say yes and no when we ask if you if you want things (mostly "no") and have now mastered asking for "Help? Help?" when you need it or commanding "UP!" when you want us to help you onto the couch. You can be very dramatic when you get upset, throwing yourself on the floor and hitting and throwing things. You have received quite a few time-outs for your actions (most notably hitting Mommy in the face with a sippy cup!!) and I really hope that you are just exhibiting normal toddler behavior and not harboring the short temper you might have received from me (ooops.)
I really wish I knew of a way to describe the inflections in your voice when you say most words...sort of the way a mother would chastise a child in a sing-songy voice just as he's about to do something naughty. Most words you say have this tone: "Maaaa-ma..." "Buh-Byyyeeee..." "Appp--pllleeee"...eh, can't really describe it. But it's freaking cute. You also sing at times, mostly to the tune of the alphabet song or the Elmo's World theme. Your version of the alphabet goes something like this: "A B Cee Cee Double Double Deeee!"

The one thing that is sticking in my mind for this month is that I am realizing just how much I like to hang out with you. Of course, you are my son and I love you and always have, but my desire to have you near me has less to do with the mother-child bond and more to do with the fact that I think you're pretty swell. You are endearing, funny, and serious all at the same time. Your hugs and kisses (complete with a "Mwahhh!" sound) totally make my day.

I can't think of anyone else I'd rather spend time with. Which is a good thing, since in just a few weeks we'll be embarking on a road trip to the OBX to visit Cee Cee...and we'll be spending 8 hours in the car together...stay tuned!!!

No comments: