1. These are my cookies. Despite following the directions on the package to a "T" (yes I used a package, all I had to do was add an egg--one egg!--and some butter) they didn't turn out so well. There were multiple issues with them sticking to the counter, despite the half bag of flour that I dumped onto it. And, multiple snowmen were decapitated in the baking process. Apparently their necks weren't strong enough to survive the heat.
2. Until today, the above reason was my only reason for not baking--I suck at it. But, being a mom, I think making cookies goes with the territory, along with changing diapers and wiping noses. So I decided to include G3 in the process and learned that--much like trying to do crunches while a toddler jumps on your stomach--making cookies with a 16 month old is near impossible. First, he was scared on the tall bar chair I stood him on, which meant that I had to hold him. If you've ever tried rolling dough (that's sticking to the counter) while holding a kid, its not all that easy. So I had to put him down, which led to tears and me thinking I should have just left him happily playing with his pretend food in his pretend kitchen. Now he wanted to help, he just didn't want to stand on the chair. So, he managed to cut a few cookies and helped me sprinkle them, and then it was time for baking.
3. I underestimated what would make my fragile, sensitive little boy meltdown while baking. You would think that flipping the oven light on to show him the cookies were baking would bring a reaction of "Wow!" But as usual, I immediately had to remind him not to touch the oven, which led to tears. And sobbing. And wailing "Noooooo". All because, I presume, he could not touch or eat the cookies while they were in the oven. He just couldn't understand. And, like a good mother, I tried to comfort him, at least for a minute. Then I thought, screw it, and got the camera...
So I now have 3 reasons not to bake--I suck at it, I have a 16 month old, and cookies in the oven apparently traumatize him!
1 comment:
OMG, I laughed right out loud! This is hysterical! It sounds like he was saying "cookie". Then I swear I heard him say 'thank you' between sobs. Hahaa!! Thanks for sharing this!
Post a Comment