I have been wanted to write this post for awhile now, just haven't had the time to sit down and do it.
In the spirit of Christmas and good will and all that, I feel the need to give a shout out to my friends, THE MOMMIES. Christmas is a time for the people in your life that they are important; for catching up with old friends, celebrating with new ones, reminscing with families and visiting with relatives. THE MOMMIES (I put them in caps because they are that cool and special) are the girls who make up my online "mommy board" that was started nearly two years ago. I wrote about them once before, though I can honestly say in the two years that we have "known" one another, that was the only negative experience to come from our little group. Our group has gotten smaller--and tighter--since then, and encompasses 14 wonderful women.
Jenny, Jen M, Jana, Teri, Tara, Julie, Laurie, Shannan, Rose, Cortney, Wendy, Becca, Erin and Christy: I do not know where I would be without your daily doses of friendship, support, humor, company, and advice. Each one of us offers something different to our group...we all have very different personalities and tastes and lifestyles and ways of raising our kids. And yet--so many important things are the same. Particularly our devotion to our little online family. These girls know everything about me, and I do mean everything. We share about our marriages, our children, friendships, family issues, money woes, jobs, sex, dieting and body issues, everything.
A typical day on the board starts with one of us "serial posters" (me, Julie, or Laurie usually) starting a daily thread, which generally spawns into a conversation online that lasts throughout the day. The first thing I do each morning when I sit down with my coffee is hop online to say "hey". I probably post about 3-4 times a day (on a normal day when I am around the house just doing my thing.) The other SAHMs are pretty regular contributors as well as the working moms who are in an office setting. There are a few of us who don't post EVERY single day, and some of us who rarely do, such as Jen M and Shannan. We still connect with them via blogs and email, and they are inherently part of our group.
I think part of what bonds us (besides having gone through pregnancy and childbirth together) is that we are all writers...I don't think its a coincedence that the majority of us have blogs as well. If someone is out of touch for awhile, it doesn't take long for one of us to pick up the phone and call her (yes sometimes we connect by phone too...and even in person when geography allows.) Several of us have gone into the candle business under the guidance of Christy, who has had wild success selling candles. We've exchanged Christmas and birthday presents, sent packages to each other just to cheer each other up, shared items such as DVDs and clothes. We regularly post pictures of our little munchkins for each other to view, and its safe to say that I care about and love each one of these babies as if they were my "real life friends'" kids. They are all beautiful, unique, precious and--we've all agreed--the most beautiful lot of babies around.
The support I get in my life from these wonderful friends is hard to describe. I feel like I am 100 times the mother I might have been because I have these women to turn to for everything from feeding questions to behavior to how to brush a squirming child's teeth to how to deal with an aggressive playmate. So many things that might have worried me ten times more are handled with ease because I can check the board and see that the other babies are going through the same thing. We are blessed to have a nice mix of seasoned moms with multiple kids, moms on their second kid, and some first-timers. Two of THE MOMMIES--Christy and Jenny--run in-home daycares and are invaluable with advice and information about kids in general.
Its safe to say that in the last 2 years there is not one of us who hasn't gone through something serious. Big-serious. It often makes me think there is a reason we have all found one another. Sometimes there are things you just don't want to discuss with your real life friends and family, for fear of judgement, or embarrassment, or not wanting to lose face. There is NOTHING that can't be shared on the mommy board. Perhaps it is because we don't communicate face to face. Maybe its because the act of venting without repurcussions is so powerful and healing. All I know is that whether someone is dealing with health issues, marital problems, dysfunctional families, sick kids, sick husbands--whatever the issue may be, she generally feels safe baring it all on the mommy board. In general, I feel that my life is richer, my parenting skills are better, my marriage is stronger and my child is better off all as a result of me knowing these girls.
So...to THE MOMMIES...Merry Christmas. Tara, thanks for always giving unsolicitated advice and your professional opinion. I value it more than you know. Teri thanks for never sugar-coating anything and for making me think and for sharing in the dog-love with me. Julie-thank you for making me laugh just about every single day: you are an amazing person and I love watching your life unfold. Erin--someday we will drink wine together in person, I promise. Christy...I still laugh when I think of my poor attempts at candle selling...and your great attitude at helping me undo my damage. You have also said a few things in some of my "vents" that have really stuck with me--wise, wise woman! Jana--your perserverence and your dedication to your son is thought-provoking and eye-opening. Wendy, I love how you are so utterly selfless...and yet when you needed us you got good and selfish for a few weeks:) Cort your posts are some of my favorites to read, I identify with so much of you and being a SAHM. Becca, you never cease to crack me up...and thanks for all the g33k help (I screwed that up, I know.) Rose, I hope that someday you get your ass into this country so we can party!!! Shannan, your blog is one of my favorites to read...you are such an eloquent writer and an amazing mom. Jen M--I am so happy we have met in person and it was amazing how we were like two old friends catching up...even though we'd never met before. Jenny I love hearing stories about your crazy kids...you are one of those people who is truly a good, kind person, through and through. Laurie...eh, what can I say about you? I just love you:) You inspire me.
And this wouldn't be complete without saying Merry Christmas to all the babies and their big brothers and sisters...Owen, Ava, Ella, and Cooper, Kiley and Garrett; Taylor, Ella, and Ally; Elisha; Clark; Ayden; Carter; Blake; Bink, Boogie, Dre, and Yanna; Savannah and Dec, Camryn; Alex and Laura; Isiaih, Halle, and Griffin. And the FOUR (!!!) buns in the oven. I love you guys too:)
6 comments:
I couldn't have said it better myself! I'm so glad that I have you and the other MOMMIES in my life and at my fingertips. I know that my life wouldn't be the same without this group! Heaven help the wine industry if we ever do have a big meet-up though!
well of course, this post made me cry. I love all of you so much!!!
Linds - you are amazing too (even though you made me cry right now)! I am so thankful to have you and the rest of THE MOMMIES in my life. Thanks for making each day so special.
Well said. I just read this aloud to Kevin. I think it was a good way to communicate to him how much we all mean to each other. I love you too. All of the MOMMIES mean so much to me. You all make me a better person.
Linds I am a mess right now!! That was so well put! I really didn't want the post to end!! Goosebumps, tears, and warm fuzzies all in one! Thank you so much for that!! Jay doesn't quite get it either... How do you "know" these people if you've never met them or talked on the phone to all of them? It's a bond that most will never understand!! I love you all!!!
Aw Linds, I'm just getting to this now-thanks for the wonderful post! You couldn't have put it better for all of us I bet, we love you too!
Post a Comment