Well little guy, you've hit another milestone, 18 months. Very hard to believe!! I can remember when you were a tiny baby thinking you would seem so OLD when you were 5 months, 9 months, a year...and here you are, 1.5 years old!!
You have crossed several milestones as you approached the 18 month status. One--you've seamlessly switched from a morning nap to an afternoon one. This has completely changed how our day flows--for example, errands must be run in the morning now and your mother has very little motivation to do housework by the time you are napping!! Two--you have given up your bedtime bottle in favor of a bit of milk in a cup, and you had no problems with the switch. Asking you if you're ready for your cup vs. your bottle still starts the wind-down that occurs before bedtime, and you like to run to the fridge and show us where your milk is, in case we've forgotten.
Although the frequency of your tantrums has lessened, the severity at times has not. You definitely have a little temper!! As usual, tantrums occur when you want something you cannot have...or you want to be by the stove while Daddy is cooking, or if we take something from you that you are enjoying. You like to throw yourself on the ground, storm around, and shout out "Nooooo!" in a very dramatic tone when you are upset. Sometimes, you manage to hurt yourself by crashing your head into the floor or wall...thankfully, this doesn't occur too often.
The last month was a busy one for us. We had several trips to Selinsgrove, multiple holiday gatherings, Christmas at Grammy and Grandad's, and our New Years trip to Avalon. You were a trooper through it all. I was especially impressed by your behavior in Avalon. You had your moments (like wanting to run into the Atlantic ocean when the air temp was barely 20 degrees and taking toys from poor innocent baby Aedan) but for the most part you did great. You adjusted to the new surroundings, napped and slept very well, and had a blast playing with 7 year old Tyler. It certainly doesn't hurt that you are cute as pie as well.
And you are very cute, not just in your looks but in your behavior as well. You like to dance and alternate between bouncing up and down, spinning in circles, and swaying back and forth. I wish I could document the different ways you say "Nooo!"...sometimes its just so damn cute, as if you know how manipulative you're being. On the cute front, it should be noted that your mother attempted to cut your hair at home for the first time. I started with the back while you were eating dinner, and that went well. I then attempted the front, and you flipped out, just in time for Daddy to walk in the door and see you screaming and me wielding scissors. He rescued you, of course, but later I trimmed the front and it turned out...terrible. You look like one of the 3 stooges, or an Amish boy. We called you Amos for a few days, but now we're used too looking at your new 'do.
G3...er, Amos
Your vocabulary grows all the time. I do worry sometimes that you aren't saying enough, though you talk constantly and although mostly its gibberish, the inflections and tone are right. You got a train table from your Grammy H for Christmas and now "train" is one of your new words. You're working on "block" and "horsey" is still front and center as one of your favorites. I've noticed you are picking up sounds and making similar connections...for example, you called elephants "elemo"...I guess derived from one of your favorite words, "Elmo"?? You also say "coo coo" a lot and we have no freaking clue what that is.I'm repeating myself, but I think this might be my favorite stage. There is just something totally awesome about watching you develop every single day. Some random but new things you've done recently: giving Daddy a kiss before bed...you've always gone to him and leaned against him when I say "Say goodnight to Daddy" but now you give him kisses (sometimes). You have learned to open the french door in the living room, as well as our bedroom door. You haven't yet figured out that all doors in this house hold the same potential, but I'm sure you will soon!! You understand nearly everything that I/we say to you in terms of places in the house. For example, if we say "want to take a bath?" or "put that in the laundry" or "where's your coat?" you know just what to do. Lately, if you have a toxic diaper and I ask if you need a new one, you run to a certain rug where I change you a lot and lay down. Yes, potty training is on the horizon!
You still have yet to say "Mommy" or "Mama" and I'm starting to think that you think both of our names are "Daddy" !!!! If I point to myself and say "Mooommmm-mmeee!" you respond in a snarky tone, "Dadddd-dy!" You are very attached to Daddy and get very upset when he leaves. When he is home, you generally want to be where he is. You don't seem to mind if I leave the room or the house, but if Daddy does its very upsetting!! For some reason, it warms my heart, even though I hate to see you sad.
What else? You like to throw your food on the floor. You hate most foods. You go to bed at night like a champ...but still get up occasionally, usually when there's a tooth pushing through. You can be shy at first, but it doesn't take you long to warm up to a new person. You are very kind with your friends for the most part...playdates are a big part of our week and with the right mix of kids they are wonderful for you...I love seeing your excitement at recognizing who's house we're at and playing with your little buddies.
There's a part of me that feels like I'd be ready to give you a sibling in the next year or so...and yet I cannot even imagine having another child. I can't imagine sharing myself, or loving another kid as much as I love you. You are just the most precious thing in the whole world...even when you bite me, and color on the walls, and rip all the paper out of the printer, and pull the doorstops out of the wall, and get into the DVD's and scratch them all up, and leave a "trail of terror" (aka toys) where ever you go. Oh wait, where was I? Oh yes. I love you very much buddy. Happy 18 months:)
No comments:
Post a Comment