Tomorrow we are leaving for Montana!!
It is hard to believe that it has been 3 years since we last traveled west. The last time we went, we had only been married for 10 months, Sarah was our traveling companion (she now lives out there), I was not pregnant or even thinking about it yet, and Natalie and Danny were not married. Natalie's sister didn't live out there, and her dog Noula was barely out of puppyhood.
It was, in a word, one of the best weeks of my life. It was a combination of many things...being on vacation (which, in my mind, was considered a "last hurrah" before we had kids), being with two of my oldest and dearest friends (the kind of friends you can not see for over a year and pick up as if you never left the high school cafeteria, or your college apartment), and being in Montana, which is a place I consider heavenly. I was trying to explain it to my friend Julie, a self-described "non outdoors" person until recently--she wanted to know what was so amazing about it. Its one of those places that pictures and descriptions cannot do justice. If you go here, you can read my last Montana journal (if you're so inclined...its long!) or just check out a few pictures. I am sure I will have more to post soon! But suffice it to say that in another life, I think I lived there.
Anyhow, this trip comes with some changes. One, we are traveling for Natalie and Danny's long awaited nuptials!! Two, Sarah now lives out there and I've seen her once in the last 3 years. Because their families will also be out there, we are staying at the place they are getting married at (Chico Hot Springs Resort) as opposed to staying at one of their houses. And, finally...we are leaving our little boy behind:(
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious and sad that I will not be seeing him for 5 days. (Although, right now, he is screaming his head off in time-out for throwing his train at the dog when he couldn't figure out how to work it!!) I have left him before...but not for this long or to go this far away. I am sure it will feel like I am missing a limb, and I think that not seeing his face every morning and night is going to be rough. I know that in many respects leaving him is a good thing...it allows me to have some adult time, some time of not having to be responsible for anything but myself, it fosters independence in G3 and allows him to have some bonding time with his Grammy and Grandad. I've never wanted to be that parent who stops life just because they have a kid...I think getting a break and doing things for yourself makes YOU happier...and in turn makes you a better parent.
As I finally finish this, G3 is SCREAMING next to me in the worldest longest tantrum:( I don't even think he knows why he is so upset anymore. Its sucks because its our last morning together and he's spent the better part of the last hour screaming. Time-outs, comforting, and ignoring have all been epic failures (and so has Daddy being home...his attempts to comfort G3 have also been epic fails.) So yes...I need a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bon voyage...
No comments:
Post a Comment