Saturday, June 6, 2009

Bear!!!

Last night we had a bear at our house!!!!

After nearly 3 years of living here and wanting, hoping, and somewhat fearing seeing a bear, one decided to walk through the woods. Gabey was just about ready for bed and we walked outside to say goodnight to Gabe, who was weeding on the driveway side of the house. He went to go dump a wheelbarrow full of weeds over the "cliff" and I took Gabey's hand in the driveway so he wouldn't follow Daddy and get all muddy. Gabe went to the edge, stopped, and slowly backed up a few steps. Then he started running like a fool towards us, so I grabbed Gabey and chucked him under my arm and we all ran inside (Mickey too!) Gabe's only words were "It was a bear!"

I immediately ran upstairs to the deck off of our bedroom in hopes of a glimpse. Saw nothing. The Gabes went out on the lower deck and I went and got in the car and slowly drove up the driveway, looking for the elusive bear, who was of course, long gone. I was equal parts excited, scared, and disapointed that I didn't actually see it.

Anyone who knows me knows I love bears...it is my dream to see a grizzly in the wild (not in a rescue place) during one of our Montana trips. So far, two trip and zero bears (though we're going on the 3rd trip in just 10 days...) I think I'd probably shit myself if I ran into a grizzly on foot...or a black bear, for that matter. Recent talks of bears where we live have had me a little hyper as of late...I mean, I run on our road, with G3 in the jogger, and sometimes Mickey...but sometimes not.

Last night, I spent about an hour researching black bears in Pennsylvania. Despite the fact that I think I've read just about every book about grizzlies, I wouldn't consider myself educated on black bears. Anyhow much of what I read was interesting and reassuring...black bears are very timid, rarely attack, and are generally nocturnal, most often spotted at dusk and dawn. Of course, I've seen lots of bears over the course of my life at Dunwoody. But its a little different knowing there is one just strolling along not too far from your house!! The funny thing is, there are probably lots of times bears have cruised by...we just didn't know it.

Anyhow, in my internet researching, I came across quite a few blogs of the "naturalist" genre...people sharing experiences and photographs of wildlife encounters, especially birds. I have been saying for awhile I should really get into birdwatching because we have SUCH an abundant amount of diverse birds here. The hawks are a daily sighting and soooo cool. Today, while I was weeding for about 5 million hours, I kept my camera closeby in hopes of getting some shot of...something cool. But, aside from a baby frog, no wildlife was spotted.

And tonight I found myself sitting on the deck with a glass of wine, anxiously peering through the thickness of the trees (yes!! summer!!) and hoping that the bear was going to come back. Of course, I saw nothing. But as much as I have a healthy fear of bears (and snakes, and foxes, and coyotes...all seen here) I have to say I love the fact that we share our home with them...or rather they share theirs with us...

1 comment:

Shannan said...

Wow...great post! I am like you too - I would love to see a bear in their natural habitat. What an amazing location you live in!