Well I missed your "26 month birthday" by a few days, but this has honestly been another month of non-stop craziness!! So here are a few tidbits from the month...
* You learned to say "thank you"...finally! And it is sooooo cute when you do. You even say thank you in public, well...sometimes. You also have learned "you're welcome" "excuse me" "bless you" and "good morning". You usually use all these terms of politeness in the correct context, but even when you don't its pretty endearing. Who doesn't love being blessed after they belch at the dinner table?
* We have been on the go a lot, mostly to visit Grammy and Grandad at Pinto-Bay since Grandad is recovering from his back surgery. Although you were a little loud and rambunctious for him to handle when he was "Mikey Vicodin", he is feeling a bit better now and off the narcotics and you are definitely his professional TV viewing buddy. Though not a big advocate of all-day boob-tubing, it keeps both of you out of trouble!! The other night I came in and told you it was time for bed and you gave me a look full of attitude and said "BYE"--clearly indicating that I was to leave you and Grandad alone on the couch! Moments later you were snuggled up with a binky, a blanky, and Duckie!
* Potty Training. We gave it a go. Let's just say by Day 3 it was pretty clear that you aren't ready just yet. Although you did love wearing Thomas the Train underwear (or "panties" as I kept forgetting and calling them) you did not love going on the potty. You pretty much fought it until pee was leaking out and you were trying to catch it in your hands...I think to prove to me that you WERE NOT GOING ON THE POTTY. I will forever have a visual of you screaming "NO!" so hard you were shaking and your face was ready, trying to catch pee in your hands (or hold it in??) and having it spray all over the bathroom. I have also learned that potty-training is not for the weak at heart...and so I will not be attempting this again until you are so ready you are begging for it. Or kindergarden, whichever comes first!! Give me a dirty diaper over a pee-sprayed bathroom anyday!
* Speaking of school...Gabey you start "nursery school" this coming Tuesday! You will be going with your buddies Maddie and "Reesa" (Theresa) and another little boy named Ben. It is just 1 hour a week. I am very happy about this even though it is a 20 mile drive for several reasons...(1) you know all the kids and the teacher Miss Debi from storytime class (2) it will be a fun hour for me and Maddie's mom Jen to hang out (Theresa's mom has a JOB, boo:) And I think it will be great for you to be somewhere on your own since you've never had daycare. I am not too anxious about leaving you, though the last few weeks of reading heartbroken moms' facebook statuses about dropping off their babies for school has left me a little wary!!!
* You continue to learn and expand your mind each week, heck, each DAY. You are no longer satisfied to have the TV on, you demand certain shows and throw impressive tantrums when they are not available!! You have gotten into the habit of reading books to yourself...some of the ones we read a lot and others that have very few words are the best ones to listen to. In particular, I am fond of hearing you read "No, David" because it pretty much consists of page after page of David being bad...and on each page you say "No, David" and then verbalize whatever he is doing wrong: "ball in house!" "timeout" "water OH NOOO!" Of course at the end David's mom gives him a hug and tells him she loves him...and you like this part too.
* You are getting a "little" bit better with your colors...your default response to the question "Gabey, what color is this?" is green, but then after some thought you are usually right about 50% of the time. Brown, orange, and pink seem to be the colors you get right most often. You also love to count...often you go all the way up to 13, but most of the time you skip a bunch, so its like "1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 12..." Too cute!
* You have a newfound interest in putting clothes on. Anyone's clothes, and every type of clothing. Socks, pants, shirts, hats...the other day I got out of the shower and found you with a pair of dirty underwear on over your clothes!! As you would say, "GROSS!" So far you haven't succeeded in correctly dressing any part of your body, but certainly not for a lack of trying!!
* The main chorus of our day is "Where's DADDY?" You also ask "Where's MOMMY? Where's GABEY" Where's MICKEY?" and so on, even though I'm RIGHT THERE. You do this often, going through the names of everyone you know. But mostly its "Where's DADDY??" You definitely miss your Daddy during the day!
* Speaking of Daddy...he took you to get a haircut a few weekends ago while I was at a baby shower. Its very...short. You look so much older, and when you have "bedhead" it sticks straight up. I won't lie...I miss your long locks and can't wait til they grow back!!
Before...long, sun-kissed surfer boy locks...
After...short. :(
*No Gabey post would be complete without mentioning your ferocious temper. When you don't get your way, your response is to scream, throw yourself down, refuse to walk, hit, did I mention scream?????????? Some of this is "terrible twos" but some of it is just you!! I pretty much do not leave the house with you without an arsenal of supplies to appease and distract you..."pops", "snacks", train-related toys, etc. I'm not sure if this is the right approach or not, though I do try to use this stuff to distract you and make you happy BEFORE you get to the point of screeching like a wild monkey and making babies cry in fear. Last week at storytime class I had to leave with you because you were so distruptive when I told you that you could not play with the very loud, obnoxious, noise-maker Barney book while the storytime lady was reading. This was the day you made a baby cry!! And of course also the day my good old BFF's Jen and Salena did not show up and I was only with moms I didn't know!! Highly embarrassing!!
But of course, like "David", all is always well at the end of the day. You have moments when you make me so proud...like sitting in a chair in the doctor's office reading a book to yourself for 20 whole minutes, or going out to eat in a restaurant and behaving like a 5 year old (this only happened once...but I was very proud!) No matter how trying or exhausting the day may be, at the end its the same...you get your "stories" (most of the time read by Daddy), beg for "one more" about 50 times, and then I take you up to your bed, tell you I love you, tuck you in with your animals, 2 binkies, and blankey, ignore your requests for "one more" (I think you want "one more" of just about anything at this point!) but you are so tired most nights you close your eyes and settle in. And just like David's mom, I tell you I love you.
Then I usually sprint down the hallway, full of glee for some adult time, some downtime, and usually some wine. But never without a tiny pang of sadness, for one more day has gone by and you just keep getting bigger and bigger. And I just wish you could stay my little baby forever.




No comments:
Post a Comment