Friday, August 6, 2010

Summer Bucket List, Revisited...



Back in May I had a post about my "summer bucket list" ... things I wanted to definitely do this summer. What with the dog days winding down (yes, I know its only August 6th) and fall looming upon us, I thought it was a good time to check it out and see what I've accomplished and what I still need to squeeze in!





1. Summer party?? You bet. We had one, and it was great. Would love to have another but I sense our next large gathering is going to be the Annual Fall Frolic (how is it time to be mentioning Fall Frolic again...how!!??)





2. Knobel's??? Sadly, haven't managed to do this yet. Fortunately, Knobel's stays open til September, so there's time....





3. Teach G3 to Swim?? Well, sort of. He had swimming lessons, and he's a lot more confident in the water. We HAVE spent more time poolside this summer than ever before, so that's a win-win...





4. Rickett's Glen?? Nope. Boo.





5. Repeat of GNO with Jeanette and Nancy? Yessssss. Great night with two of my favorite girls!





6. Dunwoody?? Of course.





7. Take advantage of the 3-4 days G3 is going to the beach with my parents and go on a trip with G2?? WELL...this is coming up next weekend and we have nothing planned. After much back and forth about what to do we've come up with ... nothing. This may or may not be directly related to my husband's complete inability to make a decision. Stay tuned to see what the "staycation" brings...





8. Philly Zoo?? Nada. Maybe we can squeeze that in...





9. Utilize my deck to sit outside more?? I definitely did this! Gabe and I spent quite a few evenings reading or just chilling outside until it got dark.





10. Photo shoots? Im a bit bummed I haven't had more this summer. I have so much interest and then things fizzle out. I do have quite a bit lined up for September and October though, so no complaints.









G3's Bucket List: Dig in the dirt. A lot...




So, with the crazy part of the summer over and done with, I have a mental list of simpler things I want to do over the next month. Hit the pool as much as possible. Have a few more "lake days" where the swimming lessons were. Sit outside at night as much as I can. Have a few more fires. Eat outside (restaurant-style, or picnic-style. Both work!)








Can't do this in the winter :(




Make a point to play outside every day (what the HECK am I going to do with G3 between November and March...inside all. day. long. ????) Keep the kiddie pool full. Let him make a mess of himself in the garden we're currently trying to thin out. Hunt for frogs. Go for walks when its cooler (sadly this has not happened much this year due to Mickey's newly diagnosed arthritis. Not much fun to go for walks or runs without him.)






Ahh this is the life...




And finally, just appreciate and soak in all the little aspects of summer that make is so wonderful. Going outside in barefeet. Going outside without having to put on layers upon layers. Daylight that lasts into the evening and starts long before you wake up. The smells of fresh cut grass, overripe tomatoes, chlorine, suntan lotion. Icepops as a daily treat. Everything green and full and lush. Weekends that aren't "What are we going to do?" in the sense of trying to find something, anything fun to do; but rather "What are we going to do?" in a way of having too many choices and not enough time for all of them.




Thunderstorms. 90 degree temps. Wearing dresses. Being "tan" (aka not pasty white). Summer parties. Sitting at my parens pond (crap--we need to squeeze a few more pond nights in!!) Because soon it will be fall and while I do grasp all those little delights that make fall its own kind of magic--sweaters, pumpkin patches, soups, chili, Fall Frolic--it comes with a bittersweet taste of the winter coldness that is just around the bend.




But until then. Summer!







No comments: