Thursday, August 12, 2010

Staycation...

Day One

11a.m. Take G3 to Grammy and Grandad's. Very excited for beach. Mom runs around in usual scatterbrained manner while Dad and G3 take turns yelling excitedly "The beach!"
12pm Departure. Ask G3 repeatedly if he's going to miss Mommy, answered with "No, I miss Daddy," and "You go home now Mom? I go to the beach!"

12-2pm. Shop at the Susquehanna Valley Mall with nothing in particular in mind to purchase. Plus side: can browse bookstore uninterupted and I don't have to share my Auntie Anne pretzel. Downside: spend most of my time browsing children's clearance racks. Only purchase is 5 pairs of Gymboree underwear for the little guy. Who I won't be seeing for 4 days.

2-3pm: Drive home. Revel in the novelty of being able to listen to my favorite songs ON REPEAT as many times as I want without screams of protest and peanut gallery comments like, "That's enough, Mom! MOMMY! I want my music!

4pm: In one fell swoop all plans for the evening are cancelled. Zumba class...cancelled! Girl's night with Jen...cancelled!! Chance of swimming...0% due to hurricane happening outside! Eff!

7pm: Husband graciously allows me to tag along on his "night out". Stop by Dave and Jill's, then on to The Lookout for dinner. By now its 8pm and I haven't eaten since my Auntie Anne's pretzel...so guzzling 3 glasses of wine seems like an excellent idea. After all, Im on "vacation"!

10pm: Home. Passed out in chair. Miss "Jersey Shore" :(

12am: Husband escorts me to bed.

DAY 2
8am: Wake up. Massive headache. Ask Gabe what the hell happened to me. He laughs and points fingers at me. Hmpfh. Apparently training for a drinking marathon by having wine nightly was a complete fail.

8:30-9:30am: Coffee and computer time WITHOUT Dora in the background. Ahhh.... Plan out the day: haircut, pedicure, and some shopping. Plan to meet G2 for an errand, and ask worriedly how long it will take. Then remember: not planning around child. Nice.
9:30am: Quick inventory of G3's fall/winter clothes leads me to cross "shopping" off the list. Holy heck, who is buying for this kid?
10:30am: Rush out of the house at Gabe's request to meet him for an errand. Eventually get to the "me" part of my day...getting a haircut, shopping, and pedicure. Except forgot the gift certificate for the pedicure. Decide its okay, as I want to watch the DVR'd episode of "Jersey Shore" and take a much needed nap this afternoon.
2pm: Make pit stop at my friend Josie's. Play with ridiculously cute baby that makes me miss mine a little. Okay, lot. But, no time for that, must go home and nap! Without someone asking me repeated "Mom you gonna wake up?"
5pm: G2 arrives home from work an announces that we are leaving STAT for Knobels Grove Amusement park! Because that's what we do when child-free...go to an amusement park. Despite having been home for 2 hours have not managed to nap or watch "Jersey Shore" due to feeling the need to fold laundry, clean up, and try on clothes so I can have an outfit for dinner tomorrow night...

5:30pm: On way to Knobel's. Feel like ass. Realize have not eaten since Auntie Anne's pretzel at the mall at 11:30am.
6pm: At Knobels! Despite my initial not wanting to go, I am excited! Everyone and their brother is also here tonight, and Gabe looks like a kid in a candy shop as he purchases $20 worth of tickets for us to ride the big rides!! Try to ignore all the G3-sized children squealing with delight around me.

8pm: Leave Knobels. Rode 3 rides: The Phoneix, after which I decided I might as well just start writing checks out to the chiropractor in mass quantities. The Wipeout was next...oh, The Wipeout. What a horrible death ride. Made you go in all directions at once. Gabe made the sign of the cross multiple times and later said "I would have rather died than stayed on that ride any longer." Finally the Galleon...a light, gentle, flying boat ride that makes me feel like I'm going to barf the perogies I just ate in order to quell my hunger-induced nausea...
Gabe...mentally saying a prayer before The Wipeout
9pm: After sitting in traffic in Catawissa, PA for almost 30 minutes, we finally hit the road only to have Gabe pull off the highway and insist I drive because his night vision is poor. We pull into The Lookout House yet again, and I am tired, starving, and a little nervous about having a glass of wine...

10pm: Burgers are the BEST. Home to watch "Jersey Shore"...
11:15pm: Bed. Remind Gabe that I want to sleep in tomorrow and relax, and not rush around. He agrees

Day 3
7:30am RUDELY AWAKENED BY HUSBAND OUT OF DEEP SLEEP. Said husband thinks this is funny and refuses to let me go back to sleep. Stomp angrily downstairs for coffee and laptop time, but am harrassed by text messages ordering me to come back upstairs and hang out.

10am: After much banter, texting, and other nonsense (and, I might add, NO relaxation!) I agree to forgo my pedicure plans yet again in order to head to Lewisburg early. Gabe is on top of the world and I figure I might as well be too, even though, being exhausted, I don't really feel like it!!!
11am: On the road!
12-2pm: We hang out at the Nowicki Mansion with Nancy and I have the chance to decorate her cast with my rainbow of sharpies...I KNEW that minor in Art Studio was going to benefit me someday!

2pm-4pm: Drive into town to hit the new Barnes n Noble...and while it doesn't feel right to skip the train table section, it also doesn't exactly feel wrong. Shirt and book are purchased and we head out to Ray's sister's house for some afternoon mojitos and tomato salad.

7pm: Off to dinner at The Brasserie. Here we have many of my favorite things...dinner out, outdoor dining, good friends, good food, and a strong drink. Unfortunately we are missing a few other things that I generally enjoy, like, enough light to see the food I am eating. Raymie and I furiously fill out the comment cards at the end of our (otherwise wonderful) meal while Gabe and Nancy roll their eyes at us. Many photos are taken.

9-11pm: More cast decorating, with the added inspiration of vodka. Flaming fire soccerball is impressive crowd pleaser.

11:15pm: Go to bed with visions of the best night's sleep ever...after all, I have no reason to wake up in the a.m., I've had just enough vodka for a subtle little buzz, but not enough to be drunk, and Gabe surely, surely won't make the mistake of waking me up again....

2am: Wake up. Gabe missing. Find him downstairs asleep in the living room. Foolishly shake him violently, directly resulting in him flying out of the chair like a ninja and shouting some uncomprehesible noise that is a cross between tiger and caveperson. Shakes it off and comes to bed.

2:10am: Gabe is immediately asleep again. Lucky bastard.

5:30am: After 3 hours of tossing, turning, thinking, over-thinking, trying to get Gabe to stop moving in his sleep, crying a little, sweating, and relocating to another bedroom, I finally, finally start to fall asleep again. But not before realizing that (a) I guess I did need a staycation (b) I totally wasted my staycation by not relaxing at all and (c) I soooo miss my little guy. A big whole bunch. And, (d) 3 nights in a row of crappy sleep is NOT how I wanted to spend my kid-free time!!!

Day 4

8:30am: Wake up. Exhausted but can't sleep. Trudge downstairs, bummed to find that early birds Ray and Nancy aren't up, and I can't work the coffee maker. Efff.

10am: After conversation and coffee, it is decided that a diner breakfast is in order to combat the rainy day/hangover feeling (though, no one is actually hung over.)

11:30am: All agree that diner breakfast is completely satisfactory.

12-1pm: Silver Moon! No trip to Lewisburg would be complete without a trip to the flea market. (Let's pause and take stock of the crazy things we did without child: Knobel's? Check. Didn't sleep in? Check. Farmer's market? Check. We're wild, really.) I should mention that for the first time ever I got to browse the heavily packed antique section, which I usually must forgo due to the giant poster outside stating "NO STROLLERS ALLOWED"


2pm: Leave to go home. I have grand visions of me, the couch, and some television. I didn't think I wanted it, but I do. I sooooo do.

2:30pm: But of course, we have to stop at Lowe's. I would rather cut myself than do this, but I oblige and lo and behold, we randomly walk out with the PERFECT patio furniture at 50% off!! It is a staycation miracle.

430pm-9pm: Truck unpacked, patio furniture assembled, ass parked on couch. "Wedding Crashers" is on and I immediately, finally fall asleep.

And so our staycation comes to end. It was a pretty random 4 days considering the exciting events that contenders for this weekend...such as a trip to Vegas, a trip to NYC for the day, or even going to the beach. I didn't do half of what I wanted to do (pedicure?? NO. Work on scrapbook?? NO. Deep clean house?? Definitely not! Relax?? Not really...)
But I did do a few things I "planned" on, and I didn't miss my little guy quite as much as I imagined that I would. It was nice to hang out with Gabe as "just us" (even though his idea of "hanging out" and mine are vastly different!)

And the best part is that tomorrow morning I get G3 back...I can't wait!!

No comments: