Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Few Points of Interest

Been a busy week but I thought I should take a few moments to update the blog...

Birthday Madness
The celebration of my 30th birthday was great!! In fact, the whole day was great. I had a massage in the morning, traded in my phone for a new one, took a nap, and then my sister, Ray, and Nancy arrived. We had some wine on the patio while we waited for the baby-sitter to arrive, and then headed off to the Pearl Sushi Bar at Mohegan Sun. Despite Gabe knowing the manager personally, we did have to wait nearly an hour past our reservation for our table, but we were all in good spirits and still catching up, so no sweat. The sushi was pleasing.

We then split up to gamble...actually, no one gambled besides Kellie and I. Though Kellie had high hopes of winning enough for a new Coach purse, it was I, the birthday girl, who came up lucky. I won multiple small amounts and then, on a hunch, tried one more time on a machine I had been failing miserably on. And I won $500!! After buying a round of drinks for everyone, we cleared out. More partying ensued at home...the following day was one of relaxation--the pool for Kellie, the Gabes and I, and a bike ride in 90 degree heat for the Adams' (hey, to each their own!) We also had a seafood feast and took a long morning walk to test out the new jogging stroller. Which brings me to my next point.


Jogger
New jogging stroller!! After months of wanting one, I finally received one for my birthday, courtesy of Ray and Nancy and my husband. Of course, Gabe reminded me to write a check out for Ray before they left (the stroller was purchased from Ray's store) and this is where my gambling money came in handy! So far G3 has had 2 walks with Mom and 1 run with Dad...he loves it, I love it...and Gabe is not sure yet. Says he hates it but I think after a few runs of getting used to it, it'll grow on him. In a slightly related note, we tested out the jogging stroller late at night on my birthday. No we didn't wake up G3 or anything like that, but someone (we're still unsure who) stated drunkenly that the stroller held up to 120# of weight (though it clearly says in the instructions that 70# is the maximum weight.) And just like that, Nancy was riding in style while I pushed her around the kitchen.





Old Friends and Roadtrips
This has been and will continue to be a busy week for me. On Tuesday I decided to hit 2 birds with one stone and travel to Harrisburg with G3. First we spent the day at my friend Charlotte's house--swimming, playing, and catching up. Meg Smith and her brood also made an appearance--making the kid total 4 with Nate, Patrick, G3 and Bryce. As usual, my time with these girls is too short, and by 5pm I was hightailing it to Ray and Nancy's. Jeanette--one of my oldest and dearest friends--was arriving from Alaska for a few weeks of R&R at home, and her first stop was Ray and Nancy's. She was surprised by G3 and I's arrival, and we all had a great visit of talking, eating, taking walks, drinking wine, and in general enjoying each other's company. I will be heading home Saturday for more quality time with Jeanette and also Natalie, who will be home for a very short 3 days from Montana.



(G3 and Bryce)

Not a Gymnast Anymore
It should be mentioned that our walks at the Adams' led us through a playground, where us 4 adults attempted to do flips on the monkey bars like we did when we were kids. Nancy was the only mildly successful one, and it was mostly due to the help of spotters Ray and Lindsay. It is safe to say that my entire upper body feels as though it has been hit by a truck, and that flips on the monkeybars are inherently easier when you only weigh 70lbs. G3, who should have been in bed but was instead on post-dinner walk with us, found all of this hysterical. We also sent pictures to Gabe, who said we looked like polygamists. (If you're going "huh?" keep in mind Gabe doesn't always think the same as the rest of us!!)


(Polygamists??)


Poop Disaster
It was bound to happen, after a year of hearing others' stories of baby poo leaking out of diapers and being smeared on walls, I knew that my precious G3's bathroom habits were too good to be true. Not since the time Kellie and Gabe attempted to change a diaper together and liquid shot out like toothpaste (G3's age? Like 8 days) have we had a noteworthy story about bodily functions. Here is the scenario: G3, clad in just a diaper, finishes dinner. Me, waiting for Gabe to vacate the shower, decide to remove said diaper to let G3 "air out" while I clean up. Moments later, I see something making its way out of his hiney, and I quickly but confidently grab a wipe, catch it, and dispose. No mess, no sweat. Moments later, as I'm thinking "Wow he is playing so quietly!" the innocent G3 crawls over and smiles at me and its like something out of a horror movie. Brown poo ALL OVER his face, in his mouth, on his hands, and--I slowly realize--all over the rug and about 8 million small wooden and plastic toys. In my haste, I managed to step in the offending pile and track it all over the kitchen. Mickey and Sophie arrive with their noses twitching in interest. G3 was run upstairs and given to his dry-heaving father, who did good removing the poo while I cleaned downstairs. I'm not sure who had the worse job. Lesson learned...no more turning back on baby if naked!! Sorry...no pix for this.

No comments: