Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow Day



As I sit here, we are experiencing our first "real" snow of the season, i.e. snow that covers everything, makes driving conditions shaky at best, and forces plans to be cancelled (again and again and again...) And, as it turns out, the kind of snow that is good for little Gabes (and big Gabes) to play in...



G3 finally got to put on his snowpants that have been hanging in the closet for about 2 months, as well as his snowboots. It took him all of two seconds to figure out that snow is FUN to play in, and we spent about 20 minutes playing before Gabe had to head to work (in the truck with its brand new plow, which will finally touch the ground for its maiden scrape today.)

As much fun as dragging Gabey around on his sled was, there is no love lost between snow and I. I hate it. I hate winter. I am particularly nervous as we are supposed to get a snowstorm again on Wednesday (with one thrown in on Sunday just for kicks.) Wednesday, as you all know, is Christmas Eve. My original plan was to head to Selinsgrove Monday or Tuesday, spend some time with my sister and possibly catch up with some family such as my grandparents. Gabe has to work until about 6pm, so his plan was to come to Selinsgrove Christmas Eve night after work. A snowstorm on Christmas eve totally changes these plans.

Yes, I know I can't control the weather. Yes, I know it won't be the end of the world if we can't make it til Christmas day. But this is a Christmas of "lasts" in a way...for the last 30 years I have woken up Christmas morning in my parents house and spent the morning opening presents by the tree with my family. Gabe joined the crowd about 8 years ago, and G3 made his first appearance last year. After this year, we will probably start celebrating Christmas in our own hope and spinning the web of magic that is Santa Claus for our little munchkin. Maybe my parents will come here, maybe we'll head there for the day...but the years of spending Christmas eve there are probably coming to a close. And I WANT this last year to seal 3 decades of tradition before starting a new one, dammit.

In addition, the snow has also foiled plans for Gabey's Christmas Party Playdate for the 2nd week in a row...our back-up date of Sunday is probably not happening due to snow. I'm trying to tell myself not to worry and that no one can control the weather and everyone's plans get messed up when it snows, not just mine. But it doesn't change the fact that I hate winter!!!! With a passion!!!!!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Well, Linds, I LOVE snow. It makes everything seem so peaceful. I love to cross-country ski, and since we moved to Harrisburg I haven't be able to go in like 3 years (without having to drive at least 2 hours north)! Sledding rocks, impromptu snowball fights are always a good time, and what about snow angels?!?! When's the last time you made a snow angel? At least you GET snow. Here in our state capital all we get is sleet, freezing rain, rain, and an occasional snowflake. And times we do actually get snow, it usually disappears within 24 hours. Don't be a hater. Like you said, nobody can control the weather, so why not make the best of it?! So I say "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"