Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spring Has Sprung!!


Yep, those are buds coming up!

Two weeks in a row in mid-March with sunny days and 50-60 degree temps??? It almost makes the horrendousness of winter worth it (almost...)

So what have we been doing to fill these gorgeous days?? Well, last week, much of it was dedicated to just basking in the sun and recovering from winter. By "basking in the sun" I mean, having a picnic lunch on the deck, tromping through the yard with boots on, and simply sitting outside soaking in the Vitamin D. By "recovering from winter" I mean cleaning up several months worth of buried dog shit, rearranging all the deck furniture, and breaking down the mountains of snow created by the snow plow. Gabey (and his BFF Maddie) were my little helpers one day last week, diligently digging away at the piles with their little plastic shovels. It seems crazy that we were UNSHOVELING snow in 60 degree temps...but we were!

This week, after 4 days of wind and rain, the sun and mild air returned. Yesterday, Gabey went home with my friend Jen after school, and when I went to pick him up we did a mini-photo shoot of the kids. I just love these two together: Gabey and Maddie. They have their moments, but for the most part they genuinely love each other and are so wonderful to watch together. They have literally been together since birth (even before) and it totally warms my heart to see them now. I wonder if they will always be "BFFs"...probably not, simply because of the gender difference...but for now, on an early spring day, all is right in their world...


Hugs
Holding hands...
I love these kids!!
Gabey and I spent most of the afternoon yesterday outside doing yardwork. OMG HOW I HAVVE MISSED THIS, snakes, backache, and the sheer overwhelmingness of work be damned. I have always been an outdoors person, but its only been the last few years that I have really dug into the gardening thing (at first by force and not choice...ten acres requires a lot!) But I do love it...hands in the earth, sun on my back, hawks flying overhead and my dog nearby. And of course my little man. Gabey entertained himself yesterday by riding his little toddle bike, throwing an unearthed baseball for Mickey, and "painting" the driveway with a bucket of water and paintbrush. I love that I can work for an extended period of time and he stays near, occupying himself and occassionaly coming over to tell me "I wanna HELP you!" (usually when I'm weilding something like hedge clippers! I sincerely hope he grows up to enjoy the outdoors as much as Gabe and I do, but I kind of think he doesn't have a choice!
Today, we hit the road to visit Grammy. Another gorgeous sunny day, 9am and in my jeep, tunes blaring (ok, it was Fisher Price Little People Sing Along, but whatever!) We went to Selinsgrove, did some shopping and lunch out with my mom, and then headed to Pinto Bay Farm for a bit. We walked to the pond, where we saw a great heron take flight as well as a bunch of little fish. Gabey threw lots of rock (shhh don't tell Grandy!) and I tried to get him to pose for a rare picture with me...um, this is the best we got...
Gabey...look at the damn camera!!!!!
But, this kid is NOT fond of the camera and in his defense, he feels kind of crappy--he's been fighting a GI bug for almost a week now, off and on. I feel sooo bad for him when he says his belly hurts...this is not a kid who shows signs of weakness or sickness, so its pretty pathetic when you ask him for the 100th time "Gabey, do you need to go to the potty?" and he says in his most pitiful voice, while wiping a tear away "All right..." Poor kid. But it hasn't stopped him from wanting to head outside or "pway" (play) all day long...
One final note...today, St Patrick's Day, marks TEN years since the "official" start to Gabe and I's relationship...crazy how time flies. Too fast for me. Its been ten years of ups and downs and changes and moves and all the normal "life events"...engagement, marriage, home ownership, children (child). Anyone who knows me knows I am a highly nostalgic person...but I have to say I am happy where I am now, where WE are--the Gabes and me. So with that thought...Happy Spring, and Happy St. Patties!! Bottoms up!

No comments: