Thursday, March 27, 2008

Babysitting



Yesterday I was asked to babysit an old co worker's baby while she went to an appointment. Since she only planned to be gone an hour or so it didn't sound very difficult...both babies are relatively pleasant.


By "both babies" I mean all babies except G3. Yesterday, he refused to take a morning nap, despite me trying every method under the sun. He could barely keep his eyes open, but refused to let them close. So needless to say, the 10 minute car ride over was not nearly enough nap for him.


Jorja, the little girl, was an angel. She's 1 year old but by "1" I mean 13 months, not 23 months. So, still pretty much a baby despite being able walk and (sort of) talk. G3 woke up within moments of Jorja's mom leaving, killing my theory that he'd nap the whole time. He was simply delighted to see Jorja's curious little face peering over him--I have quite the little flirt on my hands. But that gave way to crying and whining moments later--thankfully Jorja was, as I said, an angel and didn't seem to mind that I needed to tend to her crabby boyfriend. She helped me by feeding him little puffs, removing his shoes and socks, and pointing out his ears, eyes, and nose when prompted. All very cute.


Disaster struck when we moved to the nursery to play. G3 became the happy baby, excited by the stand up musical toy that Jorja had front and center in her room. It was everything his dreams are made of...something that allowed him stand, made noise, and flashed lights. He was ecstatic. Jorja, however, got a very demonic look in her eyes and quietly walked over to G3 and, without fanfare, pushed him down. He's used to falling, and has lots of cushion, so no biggie. The same incident happened when I placed G3 in her little rocking chair for a photo op.


Overall, I was surprised how non-difficult it was. I'm sure moms of two everywhere are laughing at my naivety, but I'm being totally honest here. Of course it was definitely nice when I got home and my exhausted baby was sleeping...and there was no other little munchkin in sight to tend to!!

No comments: