Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Running Man



Yes, you saw the picture correctly. Gabe has taken up running. On Monday he arrived home from work with a brand new pair of running sneakers and a pair of running shorts. Since he has owned neither such item in the 8 years I have known him, this was a surprise, to say the least. But I didn't say anything.


On Tuesday he arrived home with a gleam in his eye that said "I'm a man on a mission." He quickly changed into his new gear and donned a hat and gloves for warmth. He asked me to take a picture for posterity. I obliged and waved as he trotted off. 45 minutes later he returned from his walk/run/jog a bit red in the face, a bit sweaty, but amped.


"How did it go?" I asked.


"Good. Not bad for a guy with a herniated disk and colitis who's recovering from surgery!" he responded.


"And who smokes 2 packs a day?"


"I was hoping you wouldn't mention that part."


And so now we're on to Wednesday. Despite the near 60 degree temps and the fact that Gabe arrived home from work relatively early, there was no encore run. He was "a little banged up from yesterday" he admitted.


Stay tuned to see if running will become a new habit for new, healthy, acupuncture-receiving Gabe, or if his brand spanking new New Balances will be collecting dust in the closet...

2 comments:

Tara said...

Come on, G2, the Happy Bubbas are rooting for you . . . run a mile today, quit smoking tomorrow. Think what a good example you will be for G3.

midnightpeddler said...

I am freeking amazed that Gabe ran. Will it continue.....?