1. The First Mother's Day...it was a big deal to me, and no amount of words could get Gabe to understand how important...but he did good. After a few early morning pleas to be let out of his duties, he did a good job of taking care of G3, telling me not to do laundry or clean up, and making a great meal for me, my parents, my grandparents, Aunt Nanci, and Shawn. He then proceeded to feed G3 dinner and give him a bath alone...a first. He reported that it was "treacherous" but G3 came back down with lots of smiles and fully dressed, so I would call it a success.
My present consisted of a recently purchased corner hutch to replace the precarious baker's rack that G3 was just asking to be crushed under. The hutch looks good!! And more importantly, cannot topple on my little monkey! In addition, as is Horvath family tradition, I received a grand total of 3 scratch off lottery tickets in my collective mother's day cards...and won $100! Sweet.

3. As I mentioned above, Crystal of the "Crystal's Preggo Blog" in my links had her baby a few weeks ago, and I went to visit when he was 2 weeks old. In the past (aka Life Before G3) visiting a new baby was a wash of emotions for me. The whole "brand new human being thing", the desire to have one of my own someday, how tiny they are, the mom-baby bond that's always so evident, even through dark circles and frustration. So much so that I would always come back with pleas to Gabe such as "Let's have a baby right now!" even though we had a plan, and we were going to stick to the plan (and we did.) So much so that Gabe would usually suggest I sleep on the couch for fear my baby fever would cause us to conceive just by looking at each other.
But something funny happened after G3. I no longer found other people's babies to be endearing or even interesting in the same way. (Don't worry, I still love all the little muffins just as much). But it was the same way in which I never quite found anyone else's dog as cute or loving as my own. And consequently, despite still loving the newborn snuggle, I had no desire to put baby Aedan in my pocket and steal away with him. Crystal's post-pregnancy state (though she looks fabulous and I hate her for that part:) was enough to scare me silly...just remembering the sleepless nights, the dull ache in my head from not sleeping, being glued to someone 24-7...no, I didn't come home begging Gabe for another. At least not yet. But the further that G3's little legs hang down off my lap, the closer I become to thinking the tiny, new, helpless infant might be worth all the aggravation again...


No comments:
Post a Comment