Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Of Reptileland, Campfires, Yard Sales and More...

Haven't blogged in a week, so I thought I'd make a random post. Here are a few things of interest...
1. First fire of the season! Not here but at the pond. We spent the weekend at Pinto-Bay (aka my parents') and although the free food and babysitters are always a bonus, one cannot argue that summer is the best time to be there. Gabe and Shawn got some fishing in, test-drives were taken on the new tractor, G3 got all bundled up for some pre-bedtime pond time, and we made a fire after he went to bed. Throw in some spirits, a cooler of beer and wine in plastic glasses and you have yourself a grand old time.
2. Clyde Peeling's Reptileland. Anyone who grew up somewhere near where I did has probably heard of it...and possibly others, as Clyde Peeling claims to be "world famous". Shawn has always wanted to go there, so on Sunday morning he, Gabe and I stole Kellie's car for a roadtrip. Shawn and I were beyond excited...Gabe mildly so. The $10 admission price was a bit steep for how small the place was...but we got the great pleasure of seeing how tortoises make babies!! Shawn then recapped the events of the day in the gift store, where we purchased a red spotted stuffed frog for G3.


3. The new hutch. We decided to purchase a new piece of furniture after baby Gabe started to climb on the baker's rack in the kitchen and it started to waver. Visions of the Grey's Anatomy episode where the bookshelf falls on Bailey's son flashed before my eyes, and we decided that getting a safer piece of furniture was the way to go (vs. bolting the baker's rack to the wall.) On the way back from Clyde Peeling, Shawn and Gabe gave into my pleas to stop at the Silver Moon Antique Mall/Flea Market...and lo and behold, furniture store as well!! The hutch has not arrived yet (but will be via the Flock's and their GMC Sierra next Sunday! Whether they wanted to be a furniture delivery team or not is up for debate.)

4. Yard Sales Rock! I have to admit that although I manned a few yard sales back in the day, I've never really been one to shop at them. Every year Freeburg (the small town my parents reside outside of) has a community yard sale. Although my dad elected not to have one this year, due to daughter Kellie's reluctance to help out, most of Freeburg was bustling with card tables full of crap. While on our morning run, Gabe and I passed quite a few with kids and babies things out. While sheilding my head from embarrassment due to the day-glo lunatic running wildly next to me, I got a good look at the loot. Later, Kellie and I headed down and scored a plastic wagon, a ride-on toddler bike, and multiple toys for G3 to keep at Grammy's house...all for under $12 total. Can't beat that!!

5. Dinner With The Flock's. After my grandparents passed away, this side of the family began getting together less often. No real reason, other than Grandma and Grandad were the cornerstone of the family. This year we've managed to get together twice, the 2nd time being this past Saturday evening at The Villa in Williamsport. It's always fun, and always something of a comedy show, and we had a good time. G3 stayed home with Aunt Kellie...who had a "nightmare" of a time with him--sorry Kel!! (Sidenote: early in the day we attempted to put G3 down for a nap and he cried a bit...Aunt Kellie, hand over her heart in horror, ran upstairs to rescue him. And thus by the time we left at 5pm she had a very tired, cranky baby on her hands. ) Live and learn...

No comments: