Friday, October 16, 2009

Snow in October...Really.

Yesterday, October 15th, was the first snow of the season. No, I didn't type that wrong and no, we didn't move to Canada. It really snowed here in Pennsylvania, in fact, its still snowing. Dare I say its a winter wonderland out there????

I'll take a big leap and admit the snow looks pretty this morning, in an odd kind of way--its really strange to see trees full of once beautiful yellow and red leaves weighted down by about an inch of powder. The perrenials that haven't even been cut down yet are laying on the ground, crushed by snow, in particular the tall grass thing that I love so much and that we generally don't cut down until after Fall Frolic. Its too early: mid-October is a time for sweaters, not snowboots; nature walks to take pictures of the foliage, not the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a semi-related topic that could also go under the sub-heading "Things I Love To Complain About", I recently purchased a new camera. Long story short, my other "new" camera broke, steps were taken to fix and repair, fix and repair failed, and Nikon had the D5000 on sale...so I managed to upgrade a bit (as well as switch brands...though I loved the shots taken with my Canon, I was a bit shaken by the fact that it BROKE after 2 months of moderate use, and that Canon told me it was NOT broken.) Anyhow, I also have a relatively new laptop and between all this new stuff and learning more about editing and photography and downloading programs and uploading RAW images and whatnot....I am in technological overload!!! I realize this paragraph makes little sense but after spending 5 hours more or less yesterday, I finally managed to get to a point where my computer, camera, memory card and editing program were all in sync and I can FINALLY go on an editing oddessy.

Can't WAIT to play around with fall pictures...of snow. Anyhow the few below are just our backyard, but I might get adventurous later on and take G3 on a winter wonderland photo expedition...











2 comments:

Shannan said...

Guess I better stop complaining about our "snow" which was more like sleet. But this 30s in October thing is for the birds. Your pictures are beautiful though! :)

Unknown said...

"no we haven't moved to Canada" for the record I listen to you complain every day and I am definitely thinking Mississauga, Ontario, Canada gets WAY better weather than Drums, PA, USA! *not by much and not in the dead of winter... but still..... * :) Luv ya!