Sunday, February 7, 2010

Happy 31 Months G3


Tomorrow is February 8th and this month you are closer to 3 than 2...very hard to believe!! The biggest news of this month just happened over the last five days, but Gabey...you are on your way to being potty-trained!!



Working on something...


Last Wednesday we had a day at home and you slept in til 10a.m. (still recovering from the sleepover at Grammy Sharon's!) and I randomly decided to put you in panties, I mean, undies. Day one went okay, Day 2 wasn't that great but I figured I'd give it at least 3 days before putting it on the backburner. Day 3 had some major success, including peeing on the potty at Daddy's work and staying dry for the whole 2 or so hours we were out and about. And yesterday, Day 4, you were ACCIDENT FREE all day. And this was a day that included two hours home alone with Daddy (aka He Who Involuntarily Dry Heaves At the Sight of Other People's Bodily Fluids), and a shopping trip and dinner out. You pee'd on the potty at the restaurant and lo and behold when we got home you performed the Grand Poo on the Potty!! A perfect day!



Flushing like a pro


Of course, I know there will be accidents to come, you still aren't telling me when you have to go, and every time I ask you if you need to, you bellow "NO MOM!" But you do go when you need to, and that was the biggest hurdle the first 2 days. For now we'll be doing panties--err, undies--at home, pull-ups when out and about, and diapers overnight for awhile--though I have to say you've been dry after naps and in the morning for quite some time now. Anyhow...I'm so proud of you!! I never thought I'd be screaming like a cheerleader while another human being squatted on TOP of the potty and squeezed some poo out...but I was!!




I did it!!


In other news, this last month--as mentioned previously--has been full of a whole lot of nothing due to being sick. I am happy to report that we are both on the mend. I would say I am 100% better, and you are almost there...your ear infection lingered a bit and you were given stronger antibiotics that were reported to cause some nasty squirts...but so far you've dodged that bullet. Hopefully when you go back next week for another recheck, your infection will be gone.


Another thing that stands out to me from this month is that lately, Gabey, you have been SUCH a good boy. I know you all go through your stages and phases of tantrums, being bad, then being good...and though you have a short fuse, I've always thought you really do seem like a "good kid". But the last couple weeks you've been especially endearing. I am not sure if its just that you are speaking better, so there are fewer times that you want or need something that you can't express it. You genuinely like to help, and once you learn a new rule or behavior you stick to it. For example--you will take a snack plate or an empty sippy cup into the kitchen and put it on the counter (or, bring it to me and say "All done Mom!" You like to help with just about anything, but some things are more fun than others!





Child Labor is underrated...

You throw garbage away, put your shoes and coat where they belong and always let me know when there is a need to "clean up". We made you a little chore chart and your chores are "Clean Up Toys" and "Brush Teeth". You did both of these things sporadically before, usually with much help from me on the clean-up toys part. But with the addition of a sticker reward, you now run from the dinner table into the living room each night to clean up your toys in order to get a sticker.


We are creatures of habit here, all 3 of us, and I have to say the evening groove we've fallen into has served you well. Every afternoon when Daddy gets home, the 2 of you go downstairs--Daddy works out and you watch "Monster Jam!" After that, much shower-taking and dinner making commences. (Side note: you only take showers now. Baths are for babies, obviously!) We have dinner together at home about 4 out of 7 nights, and I am trying to be more diligent about not making you a completely separate meal just so you'll eat, although sometimes I adjust it a bit for you. We eat dinner, and afterwards you clean up, get a sticker, take your medicine (aka Gubble Gum) and brush your teeth, and get a sticker. Then its storytime with Daddy, and you two lay on the couch wrapped up like hobos and read no less than 17 books before bedtime. I thrive on routine and it seems you do too.

Its funny to think about what you might be like as you grow up...is your "dramatic" side just 2 year oldness, or will you continue to lose your cool because your coloring book slides to the floor or the dog is in your way? Will you always be an on-task person, totally immersed in what you're doing for long periods of time? Will you still have your cute and endearing way of commanding the attention of everyone around you? Will you still talk non-stop? Your friends' moms and I have talked about this a couple times...we've deemed Ben the frustrated artist, Maddie the Diva, Theresa the quiet, chill one...and you Gabey...the whiner. Yes, you are definitely a little whiner and quick to spring the alligator tears when one of the other kids brushes up against you or wants the toy that you have or your orange slices have a crumb of fig newton on them...you know, typical stressful situations:)



Guess which kid gets REALLY sick of the camera?


Other changes this month...really, you just seem more grown-up to me all the sudden. Maybe its because you started shortening Mommy and Daddy to "Mom" and "Dad" (you constantly say during the day "Hey Mom, where's Dad? I don't see him!" Maybe its because you like to Skype with Grammy and Grandad and can practically call them yourself. Maybe its because you take showers or because you can walk up and down the stairs yourself. Even though many times you opt not to and instead command to me, "I wanna HOLD you" a phrase you picked up from Maddie which means "Pick me up!"


Mostly you just have this very sweet little boy quality that I never could have guessed existed 3 years ago when an ultrasound tech announced you were a boy and I found myself stunned and shocked and perplexed. Maybe its the way you cup my face gently if we're watching a movie and I'm not paying attention..."Mom! Look!" Maybe its the way you say "Oh MOMMY!" if we're being silly. Maybe its the way you come to me with a random, pained, the-world-is-ending face and when I ask what's wrong, you say in a forlorn voice "I want Grammy/Daddy/Maddie" whoever you are missing at the moment. Maybe its the way your eyes light up with when you shove a monster truck in my face and ask with a big grin, "What's NAME?" even though you know the name and I think you just like to hear us say it. Maybe its the important way you say your full name "Gabey Joe-set Hor-bat" or the completely innocent way you say something totally gross that melts me. (Like, handing me a dead ladybug "Look Mom! A BUG!" Or, being in public bathroom and having you stand next to me and say "Mommy you done? You poop? I don't SEE it?!" while everyone else in the room chuckles.


Maybe its a mom-kid thing, or maybe its a little boy thing. Or maybe its just you Gabey--my sweet, bright, funny, exasperating and loving little guy. Happy 31 months kiddo!





Editors note: It took 3 hours on a Sunday morning to write this post...potty-training is not for the impatient or faint at heart!!

No comments: