Yesterday I bought Gabey a little kitchen set. Yes, I know he is only 1, and yes, I know he doesn't "need" this piece of entertainment (or piece of crap, as I called it yesterday during hour 2 of assembly.) My mom keeps saying things to me like, "He doesn't need stuff." I probably could have found a kitchen at a yardsale for $4...although, its not to say I didn't look. I had always intended to get him a kitchen, more likely for Christmas or a birthday. But seeing him put little fake eggs into a little fake pot at a little fake stove during a recent playdate at his friend Theresa's house made me decide that there was no reason to wait.
He's still to little to understand "stuff". I realize as he gets older I will have to curb my desire to buy "things" for him and limit my experience of watching his little eyes light up to birthdays, Christmas', and jobs-well-done type of days. I'm certainly not denying the value of real life experiences--and I don't think Gabey is suffering from a lack of those either. He goes lots of places. He has been swimming, hiking, to the beach, around animals, elbow deep in dirt...he has learned about bubbles, rocks, water and animals this summer.
But dammit, I wanted to get him a play kitchen. I found a relatively inexpensive one that had good reviews except for the "takes FOREVER to assemble" statement. (They weren't kidding.) Anyhow, my little budding chef loves it and I'm happy to have been able to give it to him for no other reason than I love him.
2 comments:
Hi Lindsay...Just remember that Gabey is only little once, and the look on his face when he played with it for the first time will stay in your heart forever!! You go girl and spoil him every once and awhile!! Time goes by so fast not to splurge every now and again!!
My kids have tons of "stuff" they don't need; but they also have bigger items like this that they absolutely love-and they love playing with them together. I think the bigger stuff is worth it-it's all the little crap that adds up to nothing but a stack of toys in the closet! I think it's safe to say the kitchen was an investment for Gabe, and other little one's to come.
Post a Comment