Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Bit of This, A Little of That

Haven't written in awhile (you know, a whole week) so just thought I'd do a little update post...



This past weekend was Dunwoody weekend, and as usual it went by so fast that one minute I was turning onto the "bumpy road" in anticipation, and the next I was following my dad out on the way home. We all had a great year this year. Every year is great of course, but some years are better, and this was one of them. Nothing specific to pinpoint it...just a good mix of people, weather, children, alcohol (maybe those two shouldn't be listed next to each other...hmmm), stories, laughter, fishing, and lots more. G3 had a great time, was very well behaved for the most part, slept like a champ and got along well with the Rice boys. Gabe went up a day earlier to be with the "men" and I think the respite was well-needed. All in all a great weekend. There is just something about catching up with people who I don't see often (sometimes, only yearly at Dunwoody) as well as the commraderie of a good group. My favorite part of the weekend was "wine-thirty" Saturday afternoon, everyone sitting on the porch recovering from the smorgasboard of lunch, about three mini-conversations going on...everyone just enjoying the day.
Classic Dunwoody porch shot...

Some other interesting news, Kellie and I were asked to be the photographers for Gabe's cousin's wedding. (!!) After lots of back-and-forth (between both my sister and I, and the bride and I) we agreed. I'm kind of excited about this venture for 2 reasons. One, I need a freaking career. One that works with being a stay-at-home mom. I think that the 14 months that I have to prepare for this wedding will allow me lots of time to start building a portfolio, gaining experience, and maybe even taking a class. But, first things first. Its time to invest in a better camera...I have been wanting to for about a year and so if nothing else, I will be purchasing an SLR sometime in the next 6 months or so. And two, I think maybe this opportunity is the push I need to get my butt in gear...I have many ideas and aspirations but really poor follow-through; but in this case since I'm working with Kellie and for someone else, I have no choice, and I like that.

Other news, things are busy as usual for us--this upcoming weekend involves a concert (Gabe), a wedding, a birthday (me!!) and a possible zoo trip. Next weekend one of my oldest and dearest friends (Jeanette) will be home and we have a party in the works. My sister will be home for a bit as she is about to GRADUATE from PA school!!! Bring on the prescription pad! Just kidding. Her graduation occurs the following week, complete with another party, and a few weeks after that is my cousin Erin's baby shower. WHERE IS THIS SUMMER GOING!!!!????

And finally....I must mention that as I was innocently strolling through the flower gardens this morning, snipping fresh lillies for a vase, I was stopped in my tracks as not one BUT TWO snakes slithered over my feet (in flip flops, I might add) as they scurried to get away from me. I admit I let out a bellow that probably didn't sound human, and ran screaming (screaming!) into the house, where I proceeded to crawl out of my skin for about ten minutes. I'm still freaking skeeved. I DON'T LIKE SNAKES. I was able to see before tearing for the inside like a banshee that they were either black or dark gray with a thin yellow "ribbon" marking...so, harmless. I have no wish to hurt or kill them. I know they are an important part of the ecosystem, they eat mice, I'm in their territory BLAH BLAH BLAH. I get it, snakes are "good". But please, please...can't they go be good somewhere off our property!!!!!!??????

No comments: