Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy Second Birthday Gabey!



Its still a few days until you officially turn two, but I have the time and the inclination to write this morning, so here it is...

How to sum up two years in 1 post? I can't really. You've grown so fast right before my eyes that I really have to stop and think and remember what you looked, sounded, and felt like a few months ago, a year ago, two years ago. I held a 9 month old baby the other day, and was reminded of that chubby, fat, watermelon-with-legs feeling. I see pictures of you as a newborn and take notice of how my hand is as big as your chest, and remember how tiny your body used to be. I remember last year trying to teach you how to say "one" in response to the question "How old are you?" and you just looked at me like I had three heads. This year, you learned the answer to that question immediately and will tell anyone who asks that you're going to be "TWO!"
For your birthday this year, we decided to skip the big shebang party...but that doesn't mean we aren't celebrating in style. Though I've always loved birthdays, I credit my old friend Jen for instilling the idea in me that birthdays, young and old, should always be a big deal. I hope that we can make it that way for you...its a special day, and besides marking another year that you've made it through the world unscathed (for the most part) its also a day of reflection for me and your Dad. Two years ago today...we were...
Anyhow, on Friday I had a playdate in your honor. It was really no different than any other playdate--the usual attendees Hailey, Theresa, and Maddie were all there (along with baby Max) and we pretty much did what we normally do, with a birthday theme. I decorated with balloons, streamers, and Thomas the Train stuff, and you were very excited when you woke up on your party day and found balloons all over. We fingerpainted at your party, ate pizza and cake, opened presents and then got ready to go swim in your little pool. Of course, a downpour occured, but since it was the warm summer kind with no thunder and lightening, we sent you all outside anyhow. I can't remember how old I was the last time I ran around in the rain (and to be totally fair, I mostly stood in the garage) but oh my god, it was fun watching you guys run around.
Today all your grandparents are coming over for a cookout, nothing fancy. Last year I felt like I didn't even get to see or touch or be with you at your celebration, since there were so many people. I didn't really get to watch your face opening presents, and I was really busy playing hostess. Today will just be laid back, chilling outside, some food, just us and your three "grandys". I am sure we will do something to commemorate you on Wednesday, your actual birthday, as well. Hey, your dad always has a "birthday week" so you should too!
And, just a few things about you right now...
* Right now, Gabe, you talk about "big trucks" a lot. Every larger than average car is a "big truck". Until you learned the word "thunder", a clap of thunder was a "big truck!". If Mickey barks, you no longer run to the window and exclaim "Daddy?" but rather "Big Truck!" You can also point out cars, motorcycles (cycles), and apparently, ambulances (ammies.)
* Right now, your favorite toy (aside from all things Train and Thomas) is a mini Home Depot tool kit with realistic tools. This was a gift from Aunt MB and may be the best gift you've ever gotten. We have all noticed your propensity for figuring out how things go together, how things work, opening and closing things, "fixing" things, etc. The other day you sat on Grammy and Grandad's kitchen floor and attempted to connect an air compressor hose together. As I write, you are hammering my couch and measuring it with a measuring tape.
* Right now, you still have an obsession for horses, but you like all animals in general, and we read lots of animal books. Something that amazes me: you KNOW when you see a dog, that its a dog, no matter what kind it is. I don't know why this amazes me, but, like, a bulldog looks nothing like most dogs in pictures and storybooks and on TV. So how do you know its not a cat? Or a lion?
* Right now, you know all the names of Grammy and Grandad's animals. Shelby, Morty, Mikey, Louie, Timmy and Gotti. We recently got a cat book from "Aunt" Erin for your birthday, and you point to each cat and call it the name of the cat it resembles most. What I think is funny is that the inflections in your voice reveal a lot about each cat, and you probably picked this up from Grammy. For example, you say "Morty" in a voice full of love, and "Timmy" in a voice full of mischief.
* Right now, you have a yucky runny nose, but you can wipe it yourself with a tissue, and do so when I remind you to. Sweet.
* Right now you exhibit frustration and anger by hitting...whatever toy is frustrating you, the wall, MOMMY. This is not cool and many time-outs have been handed out recently for hitting. You are starting to understand it is wrong and I see you hesitating or hitting very lightly while looking at me to see if you're going to get in trouble. You have a very intense little personality!!
* Right now you can pretty much learn any word we tell you, and are starting to string sentences together. Every now and then you let out a spit of gibberish sprinkled with real words and complete with hand gestures. Sometimes we get the gist of what you're saying, other times all we can do is nod and say "Oh really?"
* Right now you love water. Water water water. Doesn't matter if its a puddle, your kiddie pool, the bath, the pond, stream, river, ocean...if there is water you want to get in it. Swimming lessons are in your near future for sure.
* Right now you are really into stories before bed. You are too cute the way you say "Awwwwlll Done" when one book is over, and then jump off my lap and say, "One more? One more?" Then you take your book back to your bookshelf and pick another out.
* Right now you sleep with Sheepie (your pillow), Pi-woah (an actual pillow), Blankie (and it has to be a certain one, Duckie, Horsey, Cow and Grover. You need all of these each night, and sometimes we go through a ritual where Mommy has to kiss each one goodnight. You also still get your beloved "dinky". Every morning when I go in to get you, grover is in the middle of your room. For some reason I find it hysterical that you throw him out of bed every night, yet if he's not in bed when you go to sleep, you ask for him by name, "Where Grover? Where Grover?"
* Right now, after months of watching me tell Mickey to "STAY" when we go outside (since he has the habit of running you over in attempt to run out the door) you have started turning around, putting up your hand, and bellowing "STAY!" I think Mickey listens to you better than me! You also have become an expert at feeding him his "crackers" without spilling the food all over.
* You are starting to learn your colors. You pretty much call everything green, except for your vitamins (aka "candy") which you call "pink". We're working on it.
* You can count to ten! Its rare that you do it without skipping a few numbers or saying them out of order, but the other night at the pond you gave a stellar performance that Grammy, Grandad and CeeCee all heard.
* Right now, we've determined that you didn't get your dad's Firework Loving Gene. Last night we sat you on the tailgate of the truck and Daddy lit off a display of small fireworks in the driveway...you HATED it! Did not like it one bit. I think Gabe was pretty disapointed, but hopefully as you get bigger you'll learn to appreciate them--after all, you're a July 4th baby (practically!)
* And finally Gabey, right now you are in the best stage ever. I know, I know--I always say it. And though I do miss the baby stage, and the idea of a three year old sounds unappealing, I am really loving this stage. You are the perfect combination of person and baby. You can do almost everything I do, you can tell me what you want and don't want, you understand the basics of life...but you still need to be held and snuggled now and then. You will always be my baby, but I will be so sad when the day comes that you don't want or need to be picked up and held closely. So for now, I will savor the moments that you are quiet enough to allow this, and try not to feel too sad when you scream and jump off my lap and run through the house like a caveman. Because I like that too.
Happy birthday baby boy. I love you!

1 comment:

Shannan said...

Awww...your last paragraph got me all choked up. It is so true. The quiet times don't last long. I am so afraid of them slipping away soon too. Makes you hold him a little tighter at times doesn't it? Funny - little caveman....I have shrieking drama queens. Happy Birthday G3, you are such a beautiful sweet little boy!