Monday, June 30, 2008

Pet-Sitting With Baby

It's been a bit since I have written, and G3 decided to get up at 6a.m. today, I figured it was a good day to get a bit of writing in.

Summer has been quite busy for us this year. Lots of places to go, people to see, and animals to pet-sit for. Last week G3 and I embarked on a trip to Pinto-Bay to take care of the animals for 3 days while my parents were vacationing in NY state. I have taken care of the animals before (as of now consisting of 2 horses, 2 dogs, and 6 cats) and its pretty minimal--feed the horses twice a day, let them out on the grass, bring them in at night, feed the dogs, put them out for the day, and basically make sure the cats have food and water. Sounds easy, right? Even with a baby in tow. Except I wasn't counting on any of the following:


1. Lilly the dog busting into G3's room at 6:30am and barking at him through the pack and play. If he ends up being frightened of large yellow dogs later in life I won't blame him.

2. Shelby's incessant barking at all times of the day. Inside, outside--didn't matter.

3. G3 suddenly becoming velcro baby and sobbing to the point of appearing seizure-like if not being held. This lasted for the first night and first morning. Very difficult to do anything.

4. The fence being blown down due to a massive storm. Just what I wanted to see as I'm walking across the grass at 7 a.m., in my pajamas and flip-flops, pushing a cranky baby in the stroller.

5. Timmy the cat catching and bringing home a very large, very dead rabbit. Lovely.

Overall though it really wasn't too bad, though it was no "vacation" as Gabe kept referring to it--case in point, a text message asking "How is your vacation going?" But, with a scheduled playdate at the pond, a bottle of wine, and several good online conversations with my sister and a few friends, I survived three days by myself.



G3 "helping" with Morton the cat

No comments: