The first time I went to a wine festival was about 6 years ago with a group of my friends from Pottstown. It was in the heart of wine country--Virginia--and was basically one of those things where I went along for lack of anything better to do that weekend. The main point of this festival was to get as shit-faced as possible on $20--and get a free wine glass out of it. Can't beat that right?
The last time I went to a wine festival was just last weekend. The 18th Annual Split Rock Food&Wine Festival. Although I knew that it was last weekend, I sort of forgot until I was googling "events in the Poconos". I immediatly informed Gabe that I had found something fun for us to do, and he immediately responded, "We have a kid! We can't take a kid to a wine festival!" I repeatedly reminded him it was a wine and food festival and that it is certainly appropriate to take your child to a wine festival! After all, he doesn't really have any choice but to stay in his stroller, right?
Anyhow, though I've been to several wine festivals, wine tastings, winery tours (you get the idea) between 2002 and 2008, I thought I'd do a little comparison between my first and my last.
Then: About 15 of us, all arriving in different cars, some of us drunk before noon.
Now: Me, Gabe, and G3, arriving in 1 car around 1pm, none of us drunk
Then: Torrential storm in the middle of the afternoon leads to much singing and dancing in the rain. And hey, at least it cooled off the oppressive heat (wine+95 degree temps=very drunk and dehydrated people.
Now: Torrential storm in the middle of the afternoon leads to us huddling under a tent with about 60 other people, trying to keep G3 entertained. But hey, at least it cooled off the oppressive heat (getting up at 7a.m. + no food + 80 degree temps = tired mommy!)
Then: Tried every single wine available at every single winery. This takes approximately all day. Seriously enebriated very quickly. Goal is to get as drunk as possible on $20
Now: Taste only wines that I think I will like based on their description of flavor. Receive a mild buzz that lasts about a half hour. Goal is to find some good wines to purchase.
Then: Spend the night at a campsite less than 1 mile away to avoid being arrested for drunk driving and also to continue partying like the rock star I thought I was.
Now: Home by 5pm, did not feel the need to drink wine for several days after
Then: Beg someone else to use their credit card so I can buy bottles of wine to take back to the campsite, thus allowing me to continue drinking. Returned home with no wine and owing someone about $60
Now: Take money along with us with the intention of purchasing multiple bottles of good wine to serve to guests, take on vacation, and have at special occasions. Returned with 4 bottles of wine and several jars of delectable food. Owe money to no one.
Then: Bought a t-shirt that said "Virginia Wine Festival"--size small.
Now: Bought a t-shirt that said "Great Tastes of Pennsyvania Food and Wine Festival"--size medium.
Then: Traveling companions included multiple drunk friends, a volitale couple who actually broke off their engagement at the campsite, and people I didn't even know.
Now: Companions included my husband and my adorable son
Then: Accidents/Injuries--many cuts and bruises from falling, was almost run over by a truck.
Now: Accidents/Injuries--um, none.
Then: Designated Driver--I have no idea, but it probably wasn't anyone sober!
Now: Designated Driver--Gabe, of course. Hey a girl's gotta live a little!
Then: Overall Assessement--One of the most fun times I ever had, minus the campsite drama (which wasn't really my drama so it didn't matter too much). Good friends + wine + hot summer weather...can't beat that.
Now: Overall Assessment--A lot of fun, probably one of the more exciting weekend days we have had in awhile! My family + wine + food + hot summer weather...still can't beat it!
Then:

Now:
So if my ideal fantasy world is a wine festival--good company, good weather, and good wine...I really don't see any problems with this!
4 comments:
Ah... to be all grown up! Obviously this life agrees with you - never seen you so happy!
I give up...who is Shorty??????
A vertically challenged person from your FCVH days (she's also pretty bad at keeping in touch!)
Ahh...Ellan!
Post a Comment