Sunday, June 1, 2008

Top 10 Shawn Moments

So, my sister's boyfriend Shawn left today to embark back to his home in the Outer Banks. The duration of his stay is unknown, but at the very least its for the summer. Shawn has lived with my parents and Kellie for quite awhile, and over the last 5 years he's definitly become part of the family. I think its safe to say that everyone is pretty sad to see him go, even though his reasons are good--heading back home for awhile, seeing his family, and getting some windsurfing in (b/c let's face it, Selinsgrove, PA is no windsurfing mecca.)

Anyhow instead of writing something sappy about how I'm losing a brother or Gabe's losing "50% of his friends" (don't bother trying to figure out the math) I thought I'd touch down on some key memories of Shawn--things that I will probably think of when I think of him. Now, without further ado and in no particular order, the top 10 Shawn Moments...

1. Massanutten--Our first meeting. My parents, Kellie and I, and our respective boyfriends Shawn and Gabe. Neither of who have ever been on vacation with our family, and also Shawn's first time meeting the 'rents. Many funny memories stick out--playing "Malarky", Kellie and Shawn discovering the twin beds in their room were chained to the wall (thus eliminating any chance of pushing them together) and of course, the infamous version of "Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll" that we played late at night...

2. Reptileland--Nothing like seeing mating turtles live to strengthen the bond of friendship! Shawn's re-enactment in the gift store was priceless...

3. The Birth of G3--Aside from being a welcome and permanent fixutre over the 36 hours that it took little G3 to come into the world, Shawn was a source of humor. Moments like these are what memories are made of...



4. Karaoke Night--We had a few but there is only one that is referred to as "Karaoke Night"...after a little Monopoly, beer, and MD 50/50, what are three twenty-somethings and 1 30 year old to do when left to their devices in the Flock Homestead? Karaoke, of course. I wish I could tell you what songs were sung but other than my hideous rendition of "Going to Carolina" (which I believe I sang to Shawn) I have little memory of the musical content. The visual image is burned in my brain forever though...




5. "Mikey, You Got A Haircut"--For some reason it just cracked me up that after moving into my parents house, it took Shawn a few weeks to learn the names of the animals. It was cute when he referred to Tinker the horse as "Timber" but when he thought that the short-haired Louie the cat was really Mikey with a haircut...well maybe it's one of those things you had to be there for. Even though I wasn't...

6. The Dance--One night at Bot's when Gabe, Shawn and I were the only 3 customers (hey it was only 9pm) and the "boots with the fur...WITH THE FUR" song came on, Shawn decided to make up a dance. There was a move for each member of our family from G3 to my dad. Good times...

7. Wedding Memories--Legend has it that Shawn broke a burning log over his knee the night before our wedding. I didn't see it but I believe it.



8. The Cosmopolitan--Another one of those "you had to be there" moments but the situation was me, Gabe and Shawn at the Lookout House for a post-dinner cocktail. The conversation went like this...

Bartender: What can I get you?


Shawn: Apple martini


Lindsay: I'll have the same


Gabe: Can I have a vodka martini with some cranberry juice?


Bartender: Um, you mean a Cosmopolitan?


Gabe (growing redder by the minute): Yes, I'll have a Cosmopolitan


9. NYE 2006--Another karaoke/dance moment. A celebration, some Neil Diamond, and a lot of liquor and Gabe and Shawn perform "Sweet Caroline" for the umpteenth time. Surprisingly in sync.

10. Lost Charades--Need I say more? Not sure if its the number 1 moment but its the most recent...a good night of campfire, spirits, Lost charades, and also a bottle of Jager. Whether or not Shawn pushed Gabe in the pond...we'll never know...but we'll look forward to reliving the good times in the OBX soon enough...

1 comment:

Becca said...

OMG, Gabe ordered a Cosmopolitan. That's hilarious!