I hate being sick (doesn't everyone) but there is one nice part about it...taking a sick day. No matter what ailments I might be suffering from, the idea of having a legitimate reason to curl up on the couch, eat soup and crackers, and watch TV ALL day without feeling guilty is really nice. Oh, and throw in a few catnaps with a nice cool pillow and a cozy blanket.
(I should stop here to say that yes, I have gotten the memo that a stay-at-home-mom is one of the few jobs that doesn't come with the option of a sick day. I am just very, very thankful that I haven't been sick at all in the last 14 months...knock on wood.)
Today though, I had a sick day with Gabey. Last night he spiked a fever (his first ever) and was pretty pathetic and lethargic. We weren't sure if it was teething related or something else, so we lovingly bathed him, held him, gave him Tylonel and a bottle (which he is weaning off of) and put him to bed before 7pm. Little did we know that he was going to wake up every 2 hours throughout the night. Specifically at 10, 12, 3, 5 and finally at 6am. I think it was worse than having a newborn...even barely out of the womb G3 rarely got up more than two times a night.
Begrudgingly (I think I cried out "Nooo!" when he started crying at 6am) I got up for the day. I got a bottle and curled up on the couch with my baby and turned on the television. I was exhausted and he was too, but I had visions of a warm and fuzzy sick day...me and Gabey lying on the couch watching TV and then him taking really long naps (during which I would also catch a few zzzz's.)
I was in for a rude surprise, since G3 basically cried all day long. Oh he had his moments where a toy would catch his eye and he'd play for a bit, but mostly he cried. And hung on my legs. I would try to pick him up and cuddle but he'd have none of it. I tried to feed him all his favorite foods...but he didn't want any. I tried to put him down for snuggly naps (seriously, why would he not want this??) but he'd scream as soon as I put him down. Needless to say, this was a very, very, very long day.
Around dinnertime he seemed to turn a corner, thankfully. Gabe arrived home from work with multiple types of teething ointments, pointing out the sleeping baby on the box to his son and saying "Look, Gabey...its a BABY...sleeping through the night!"
So here's hoping the worst is over and he feels better tomorrow. If not...well, we can always take a sick day...right?
1 comment:
oh my god he looks really bad...n he is still smiling for the camera..what a trooper...
linds..red eyes..watering eyes...could be signs of blocked sinus and relating to head ache..and a mild ear ache..just keep giving him some tyelenol [thats what u guys call it right]
bug hugs.. :)
Post a Comment