Monday, September 8, 2008

Happy 14 Months G3


Today G3 turned 14 months old. Pretty hard to believe.

In the past couple weeks there have been a lot of developments in his behavior, thoughts, and actions...enough so that I really think he has crossed the line from "baby" to "toddler". I just recently ordered a photobook based on the blog post I did when he was 10 months old - A Day In The Life of G3, and I was really surprised at how much he has changed in just 4 months. He seemed like such a, well, a baby at 10 months old, even though I remember feeling at the time he was so unbaby-like.

Obviously the biggest difference to have come about in the past weeks is G3's new found ability to walk. He literally started one day and never stopped. I find it hysterical to see him toddling about--he reminds me of E.T., bumbling to and from this toy and that one. Its also liberating to have him OFF of his knees, thus eliminating direct evidence of how dirty my floors are, and allowing him more freedom outside. I absolutely love walking along and holding out my hand and having him reach up to take it. And being able to put him down while we're in public and know that he's not going to be laying on a dirty floor is nice...although it does open the opportunity for my little shoplifter to rifle through the goods on the lowest shelves. Ooops.

Another big change is his temperament. He is still placid, easy-going G3 for the most part...but in between the smiles and giggles and flirting are a lot (and I do mean a lot) of little meltdowns each day. Anything can set him off--the common denominator is frustration--but it can be simple things such as Mom being too slow with making lunch to Mom saying "NO" to Mom trying to help turn the pages in the book to Mom changing his diaper (wait, maybe MOM is the common denominator??) I will say a daily meltdown occurs when Gabe leaves for work (if hG3's up) and after the happy post-work reunion ensues, when Gabe puts him down. Of course, these are the kind of meltdowns we love. I am currently reading "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" which is Dr Spock for our generation. I am apparently supposed to understand that my adorable son is actually a small cave-child, and treat him as such. Not a far stretch once you've watched him stumble around the house at light speed, dragging a stuffed rat by its tail.

G3 only says a few words consistently--"Kitty", "Mickey", "Wow", "Whoa!" "Dada" and (I think) "Milk". Most of the rest of his speech consists of whining, yelling, and gibberish. However, there are a lot of words he understands...such as "where's Mickey?" and "milk" and "eat". And just today I noticed two things that I said to him that he fully understood--for the first time. I asked him if he wanted to go outside, and he got up, full of excitement, and waddled as fast as he could to the laundry room (this is the door we usually go when we go outside to play.) Later, I asked him if he wanted me to read him a book and goddamn if he didn't leave my side, go get a book, and return with his arms outstretched and one sweaty hand clutching a book! Of course, moments later he flipped out and smacked me in the face with his head when I tried to turn the book right side up, but hey--small miracles, right?

There are so many other ways he's developing...some good and some bad. He's less than thrilled about his bath lately, mainly because he hates having his hair washed. He recognizes a few songs and sort of tries to do the motions to "Itsy Bitsy Spider" with me. He knows that things like "I'm gonna get you!" and "Where's your piggies?" means that he's about to get ambushed with tickles. He rarely eats baby food anymore, save for his morning cereal. He graduated from formula to milk and bottle to sippy cup like a champ (two transitions I was really stressed about; now it seems silly that I even worried about it.) He still freaks out when I clean his face off after meals, but he now holds out his hands when I say "Hands?" and laughs out loud when I wipe them off.

He snuggles a bit longer at night before bed. He has taken to being a bit fussy now when I put him down...he has never fussed at bedtime. He still goes to sleep okay, just the initial "mommy is leaving" --he now understands this, and he doesn't like it!! He is no longer content to ride in the stroller for several hours while I shop or run errands--no way, he wants to be out and moving and grooving. His interactions with his little friends are becoming more human-like, and he is reacting back when he doesn't like something, such as his little friend Jorja's obsessive (and adorable) hugging, kissing, and patting his back.

He still needs at LEAST one nap and preferably two--with no naps he is a monster child. In many ways he is a lot more challenging...gone are the days of doing whatever I want/need while he coos pleasantly in some form of baby restraint. But in many ways he's easier--he's more predictable, he's easier to appease, he's in a set routine. And in all ways even the tantrums he's way more interesting and fun. He is becoming a little person, with bits and pieces of independence and forming his own likes and dislikes.

I find myself missing the baby stage, especially at night when I snuggle with him. I know that I want another child, and I'm actually starting to anticipate when that might be (don't worry, its not going to be anytime in the next year or so, I'm not that smitten!) But I also know that I won't have the same kind of experience with a second child, it won't be just me and that kid, just the two of us most days. I will be busier with 2 children and have less time for each. I am trying so hard to not get lost in frustration or caught up in the day to day crap I have to do every day and just sit back and enjoy this--just me and my best bud, hanging out, learning new things every day.

My friend Charlotte has a little boy named Bryce who is 1 month younger than G3. Nearly every time I talk to her she says, with almost a hint of desperation in her voice--"I can't believe how fast this is going."

And she's right. Its absolutely fleeting.

No comments: