Yes, this picture was taken this morning. If G3 could talk yet he'd be saying "What the hell is this shit??" Okay, maybe not those exact words. But that's pretty much the general attitude to snow in this household. Pretty unbelievable that our first snowfall is OCTOBER. Whatever happened to global warming and milder winters? It's not even daylight savings time yet!!!! Not to mention that I had a specific plan for this week (since we're going away this weekend) and today was "run errands day". So not happening. (Sidenote: in case you can't tell...I hate snow. I hate winter. With a passion.)
In other news, we had our annual Fall Frolic party last weekend (Fall Frolic...and 3 days later, SNOW??) Anyhow...it was a different experience this year. In years past Fall Frolic included upwards of 30-40 guests, many overnighters, and usually a fire. This year the attendance was pitiful. Systematically throughout the week, 1 by 1 people cancelled. On Saturday morning (which found me in a foul mood anyhow due to the hurricane happening outside) two more people cancelled, one being my own mother. Which left the definite guest total at...3 people. Very depressing.
However, a good time was had, and I was surprised to find that later in the day all of my mommy playgroup friends and their families came, so we did have a few eaters for the 20 gallon pot of chili we had. The Adams were the main guests (the only to spend the night), my old college roommate Crystal and her boys came for the day, and my 3 playdate moms along with 1 husband and 1 neice. G3 looked adorable in his obligatory Halloween costume, and although about an hour of the party was pure and utter chaos of 3 little girls and G3 all hopped up on sugar, overall it was a nice day. Nancy and I sipped spiked apple cider all day and the evening was spent just sitting around talking (and simulateously watching Penn State kick some ass.)
The rest of the weekend was great...Sunday dawned to blue skies and mild temps (Sunday...a mere two days ago.) I really like it when Ray and Nancy come to visit because they always stay for the whhhooollllleeee weekend, and as everyone knows I hate it when guests have to leave. We took our standard mid-morning walk, and then the Adams' headed out on a bike ride while Gabe and I did a serious amount of yardwork (good thing...seeing as it is now SNOWING.) The weekend culminated with some pumpkin carving, late-afternoon wine drinking, and a dinner of steak salad prepared by Chef Gabe (despite tons of leftover chili...I think it will be another 6 months before any of us will be ready for chili again!)
G3 helping Nancy carve a pumpkin...
Nancy, posing for the cover of "Pumpkin Illustrated"
And finally, this Friday Gabe and I embark on our first extended trip without G3...3 days in NYC with my cousin Erin and her husband Ken. Plans include seeing "Wicked", eating at Mesa, and spending the day at Chelsea Market. Although I'm very nervous about leaving G3 (not that he won't be okay or anything, just that I will miss him) I'm sure it won't be as hard as I imagine. He'll be having a ball with Grammy. And if it is hard, well, that's why they make vodka!
2 comments:
I love your philosophy about there always being vodka if it's hard. It is hard, but you definitely need a break every now and then.
Snow, already?! And sticking to the ground. It snowed and hailed here Sunday but nothing stuck. I am with and am NOT ready!!
Post a Comment