Thursday, October 2, 2008

Nostalgia

I haven't posted in awhile...just hasn't been anything overly noteworthy and I've been slacking on the pictures lately. Mostly because it seems that either G3 won't hold still/look at the camera/stop moving, or he manages to hurt himself while I'm taking a picture (seriously this has happened like 3 times lately...its like he sees the camera and decides to faceplant.)

Anyhow, its October now. For some reason this time of year always makes me highly nostalgic. I'm not sure what it is about October that makes me like this (well, actually I am but it would take eons to explain and probably wouldn't make any sense anyhow) but part of it is the changing of seasons. The end of summer--which is really where I belong, this winter crap and I do not mesh well. The changing of seasons...I love the spectacle of fall, but mourn (yes actually mourn) the end of summer. I mean, its warm out, it stays light until nearly 9 o'clock at night, everything is alive, people are tan and healthy, choices of activities double simply because its nice out almost every day...who would want to trade that in for cold, darkness, treacherous driving weather, pale skin, sickness??? For what, a couple of fun romps in the snow?? Nope, never understood that.

October also marks the end of the year rounding out, and it always amazes me just how fast another year has escaped me. I find myself thinking of things that seem as though they just happened, but yet--years have passed. I am scared of looking back and thinking "Wow, its been 5/10/15 years since G3 was born". I can barely grasp that its been 14 months and 3 weeks. For most of my adult life I've wished that time would just slow down a bit.

Anyhow, I've compiled a list of thoughts that fill my brain regularly when I'm wallowing in nostalgia (or feeling "nos-TA-logic" as I will always think of it after being friends with Jen.) In no particular order...

  • My old apartment in Spring City, PA...the only place I ever lived that was all mine
  • My little cat Calvin and his sister Fran, my first real "pet" away from home...both are dead but the sad part is knowing that even if he hadn't bitten the dust early, he'd probably be dead by now anyhow.
  • French Creek and all that was associated with it
  • Sarah and Natalie
  • My little Dodge Neon (bet you didn't think that would be on here!)
  • Drinking wine on Tuesday nights with Jen, Beckey, and Charlotte
  • Walks on Northside with Jen, Charlie and Mickey
  • Snow Emergency (probably the only time I ever enjoyed a winter disaster...20 people, 3 dogs, and a lot of alcohol stuck in a house during a 3 days snowstorm? Good times.)
  • The sunporch in the very first house I lived in, 327 West Central Avenue
  • Christmas when I was little kid
  • Montana
  • My grandparents on my dad's side
  • Dunwoody
  • My wedding and the 3 days spent at Mountain Springs Lake with allll our best friends and family.
  • My cousin Erin being in the same state (or house) as me.
  • The time spent with "the girls" in the 4 years living in Pottstown...before most of us were married or had any kids.
  • Being little kids with Kellie and having to make up our games like "War" and "Little House on the Prarie" (not to be confused with plain old "House" and "Model Horses")
  • Surgery with Leslie
  • Manayunk/Philly--hanging out with Bob and Meg in the days before kids...
  • My old cat Odie...thinking about when he died how I thought "In ten years he'll just be a memory, I won't remember all the little details about him" and...10+ years later...I was correct.
  • Libby and Halle
  • Smoking
  • PLV (pink lemonade and vodka)
  • My first apartment ever--with Sarah, Jeanette and Heather. I remember my mom being uncertain that I was living with high school friends...saying I should branch out. And yet--I still count Sarah and Jeanette in my top 5 closest friends...
  • Ridiculously old school songs - mostly 80's radio songs
  • The hospital after I had G3. Yeah I was in bad shape and so was he but just thinking of the kindness of the nurses and the brand-spanking-newness of my baby...yep, lot of nostalgia.
  • My baby when he was a baby...

No comments: